SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Global War?
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 45
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Global War? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
lastly, after significant killing and destruction to the civilian populace -- i simply don't see Ukraine surrendering.

There have been exceptions based on different approaches and circumstances, but as I continue to read books about the European theater in World War II, including at present the 1945 diary entries by Joseph Goebbels, I am reminded that trying to terrorize the populace into surrendering very often doesn’t work. If anything, the worse it gets, the more likely some peoples are to dig in their heels. During WWII the noncombatant Russian, German, Japanese, British, and other people suffered terribly from indiscriminate bombing and other attacks, but did they rise up and demand of their leaders, “Quit now!”? They were all happy when the war was over (for them) and the attacks stopped, but no.

If my wife were killed and my home destroyed in an indiscriminate attack, what I’d be willing to do in response would be far different than if merely faced with the possibility. As has been mentioned in other contexts, beware the man with nothing more to lose.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
One of Putin's biggest problems in prosecuting the attack on Ukraine has been logistics--in part because they're not holding MSRs they "take."

MSRs??? Modern Sporting Rifles? Military Supply Routes? Can I 'buy a vowel'? Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A main supply route (MSR) is the route or routes designated within an area of operations upon which the bulk of traffic flows in support of military operations and humanitarian operations. MSR is a term that is also used in insurgency and irregular war scenarios.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Oh SWAN!

(Shit We All Need)

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of what if's here but we won't know until it all plays out.

Personally I think there is a lot of corruption and rot in the Russian military and supply base. Poorly paid, poorly equipped, poorly trained, and poorly supplied soldiers. Poorly built and poorly maintained equipment. Corruption at military suppliers resulting in corner cutting and poor quality. Fraud at suppliers resulting in not building equipment they were paid to build, falsifying inventory records, pocketing the money, and thinking they would build it quickly, when it was actually needed. No advanced manufacturing capability and over reliance on China (and others) for components.

The list goes on and you get the idea. It is possible Putin was given readiness and supply reports based on fraudulent numbers because that would require admitting all the previously stated fraud and grift. And he relied on the reports to plan the invasion.

Just have to see how it all plays out.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Just saw a poll from WSJ that said 52% of all democraps would flee in the face of invasion of the US. Im surprised its only 52%...I think some of them are saying they would stay but really woudlnt.

Compared to 68% of R's, which I think is low for whatever reason.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
lastly, after significant killing and destruction to the civilian populace -- i simply don't see Ukraine surrendering.

There have been exceptions based on different approaches and circumstances, but as I continue to read books about the European theater in World War II, including at present the 1945 diary entries by Joseph Goebbels, I am reminded that trying to terrorize the populace into surrendering very often doesn’t work. If anything, the worse it gets, the more likely some peoples are to dig in their heels. During WWII the noncombatant Russian, German, Japanese, British, and other people suffered terribly from indiscriminate bombing and other attacks, but did they rise up and demand of their leaders, “Quit now!”? They were all happy when the war was over (for them) and the attacks stopped, but no.

If my wife were killed and my home destroyed in an indiscriminate attack, what I’d be willing to do in response would be far different than if merely faced with the possibility. As has been mentioned in other contexts, beware the man with nothing more to lose.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The other 48% of Dims are collaborators or enemy agents who will gladly meet and join up with the invading force.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped by the local funshop yesterday and could not believe the steady stream of folks picking up new AR's. The shop has been having a sale and to say the least it has been successful. Since arms and ammo have become somewhat more available many first time buyers are in the mix. Last year it was pistols/shotguns that folks were purchasing for home defense and I think it is the same people now buying a rifle. If that WWII Japanese general was concerned about invading America let's just say, You ain't seen nothing yet! There will be 2 armed people behind every blade of grass.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Just saw a poll from WSJ that said 52% of all democraps would flee in the face of invasion of the US.

I posted the WSJ opinion article in the “resist” thread, and it may be worth reading.

Yes, it was based on one of those polls that it’s heresy to so much as read, much less pay attention to, but the question was whether one would join the resistance or simply flee. The “flee where?” question isn’t answered, but in a country the size of the U.S., it could just mean heading to the next state over, or at least in the minds of some people.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5060060094/p/4

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reports are that the Russians are using conscripts as front line troops. Is this an excuse for poor performance? I thought the typical strategy was to send in your best troops first. Thoughts??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last year it was pistols/shotguns that folks were purchasing for home defense and I think it is the same people now buying a rifle. If that WWII Japanese general was concerned about invading America let's just say, You ain't seen nothing yet! There will be 2 armed people behind every blade of grass.

I will admit, recent events have given me reasons to ponder. Though a Sig P938 has its place, I’ll take a ‘battle rifle’. That’s more the order of an M1A, if not that a scoped 300WSM may do.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:I’ll take a ‘battle rifle’. That’s more the order of an M1A, if not that a scoped 300WSM may do.

I found myself without a long gun in the spring of 2020. Realizing that was unwise, I went with a Ruger PC Carbine 9mm and some long Glock mags.

Posts: 11389 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I thought the typical strategy was to send in your best troops first. Thoughts??
It may just be that Putin's best troops really aren't all that great. (See my follow-up to member gearhounds.)

TBH, and I've said this before: I remain mystified as to Putin's army's performance in Ukraine. Much of what we've seen suggests his commanders aren't very good at their jobs, either. That's the only reason I can see for the consistent amateur mistakes, such as allowing their assaults to outrun their logistics.

That's not to say the Ukrainian defenders don't appear to be doing a bang-up job. They do. But, by all appearances Putin's army is performing very poorly.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A video I watched yesterday was putting the poor performance of the Russian army down to the better man-portable anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons available to Ukraine.

I'm not buying that.

I think the performance comes down to - the people on one side really WANT to fight, and are fighting on their own ground.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
TBH, and I've said this before: I remain mystified as to Putin's army's performance in Ukraine. Much of what we've seen suggests his commanders aren't very good at their jobs, either. That's the only reason I can see for the consistent amateur mistakes, such as allowing their assaults to outrun their logistics.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Given the poor results how come Putin is not more involved? Hitler and Stalin had a solution when results were not obtained. Not that I suggest that, but the two of them are in the same department as Putin.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I am no war fighting expert, but yea these guys suck.

From some of the early reports comm was terrible and also open channel. Units were using commercial BaoFeng radios that were wide open to snooping.

There seemed to be no integration between the armor, infantry, and air.

You miss one of those and all hell can break loose.

Their equipment is WAY worse than we thought.

They seem to be losing more equipment do to lack of fuel and poor maintenance than they are from enemy action.

When I see Russian armor destroyed (tanks) I see NO infantry in the area. That is a recipe for disaster.

Even when the Russian IFV's are active and trying to push forward there is no air support. Know what that means?

It's a kill zone.

Absolutely wild.

It's like the Russians did everything they tell you not to do at mechanized warfare 101.

One thing is apparent: the Russian log train sucks.

They were never designed to project power like the US was. The Russian army was designed to defend the homeland. Pushing out beyond their borders like this exposes their weakness.

Good read on the logistics that won the first Gulf War.

https://www.defensemedianetwor...-the-left-hook-work/

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with mbinky. There was no evidence of high mobility, mutually supporting, combined arms operations from the start of this mess. Or what we call shock and awe.
Only thing left now is indiscriminative artillery and missile strikes. And I would not be surprised to see the cities being bombed from high altitude.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
I am no war fighting expert, but yea these guys suck.

From some of the early reports comm was terrible and also open channel. Units were using commercial BaoFeng radios that were wide open to snooping.

There seemed to be no integration between the armor, infantry, and air.

You miss one of those and all hell can break loose.

Their equipment is WAY worse than we thought.

They seem to be losing more equipment do to lack of fuel and poor maintenance than they are from enemy action.

When I see Russian armor destroyed (tanks) I see NO infantry in the area. That is a recipe for disaster.

Even when the Russian IFV's are active and trying to push forward there is no air support. Know what that means?

It's a kill zone.

Absolutely wild.

It's like the Russians did everything they tell you not to do at mechanized warfare 101.

One thing is apparent: the Russian log train sucks.

They were never designed to project power like the US was. The Russian army was designed to defend the homeland. Pushing out beyond their borders like this exposes their weakness.

Good read on the logistics that won the first Gulf War.

https://www.defensemedianetwor...-the-left-hook-work/

I recall reading that Gulf War I may have actually been the straw that broke the Soviet Union’s back and led to the demise of the USSR about a year later. Apparently the top Soviet political and military echelons were absolutely shocked at how FAST and how HARD we hit the Iraqis and they realized they were not up to par and would have lost had this happened in Europe.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I thought the typical strategy was to send in your best troops first. Thoughts??
It may just be that Putin's best troops really aren't all that great. (See my follow-up to member gearhounds.)

That's not to say the Ukrainian defenders don't appear to be doing a bang-up job. They do. But, by all appearances Putin's army is performing very poorly.

My impression is that historically, very authoritarian countries have (on a per-capita basis, in general - there are always exceptions)) been pretty shit at almost everything, at least in part because “political reliability” and cronyism are a bigger factor in the choice of who gets promoted to positions of authority than they are in less authoritarian countries.

Of course, another factor is that ALL governments are TOTAL shit at ABSOLUTELY everything (yeah, yeah, an exaggeration - but not by a lot, it’s just that no government is worse), and more authoritarian governments, by definition, tend to get more involved with more things and fuck them all up worse.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Russian armored column getting ambushed. Pretty standard movement on an MSR, tanks in the front, IFV with dismounts in the middle, tanks in the rear.

Just missing air support. Because the ones in the air filming it ain't your friend.

These guys suck.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post