SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Squekey Doors or Well Oiled and Silent?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Squekey Doors or Well Oiled and Silent? Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
So my wife love thrillers, scary and suspenseful movies.

Last night when watching one, the killer snuck in the house by opening well oiled, silent doors (three of them) to sneak up on his prey and make the kill.

I made the comment - "well, now I know to never oil the hinges in our house. Ain't nobody gonna sneak up on me in the middle of the night while I'm sound asleep."

So what say you; a squeaky door to alert you or, a silent door so Jason can get his sneak on?

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
LOL! I like your sense of humor.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
The Legos only work if the intruder is barefooted.

Maybe some squeaky dog toys.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Or pistachios (I've seen James Bond)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I clean and lube every door except the main entry door.

That one I leave real noisy.

Posts: 7269 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
We have one squeaky door and it's to our stairway. The grandkids sleep up there when they stay at our house so those hinges do not get oiled so they maintain their "alert" status.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let it squeak. Two weeks ago I was woken (at about 2 or 3 AM) by along slow squeak of the front door. I was seconds from having a gun in my hand. That’s when my daughter identified herself. She had a fight with her husband and just wanted another place to sleep. A squeak is a low tech alarm.

Posts: 105 | Location: Idaho | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barbed wire tanglefoot. No lubrication concerns with that system.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16106 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I preferred my door oiled, my kids doors squeaky, and dry leaves outside my daughter's window.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of this:

Ancient Japanese Used Squeaky Floors As An Efficient Anti-Theft Alarm System

https://wonderfulengineering.c...-theft-alarm-system/

"We all know how annoying squeaky floors can be. We have all come across them and we have all done everything in our power to make them stop squeaking. However, in ancient Japanese societies, squeaky floors were a preference, especially among royal families as they were used as an effective anti-theft alarm system."

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote creaky floor

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54673 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
As a child I was comforted knowing that we had a squeaky floor so any masked burglars with horizontally oriented black and white striped shirts would wake me up in time to hide my prized possessions.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29715 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
While some may think the OP is humorous and he is, I keep doors squeaky and I learned it from my Dad who worked both sides of the Law and Order street in his lifetime.

A good dog sleeping in the bedroom with you is also nice to have.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I preferred my door oiled, my kids doors squeaky, and dry leaves outside my daughter's window.

OK, that’s funny

Posts: 13288 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Squeaky door would never wake me upstairs, but my hound dog would, so I hope I'm good. My neighborhood makes me feel safe too.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't matter in my house. A closed door makes the cats crazy, it's been years since any has been closed save the front door, which is oiled. I always kinda hoped it would be the garage door, it's so loud it wakes me and I sleep without hearing aids in.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have all the window locks been checked?
How about those
basement windows ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54673 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I oil my doors. They are all quite silent.

I have sensors that chime the alarm on all the windows and doors.

And exterior cameras that alert on motion

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd have to check to even know; I live alone and the only door (other than closets, and the basement steps) that gets closed is the front. And I wouldn't hear it over the white noise fan in the bedroom. Guess I live dangerously!

Posts: 2695 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
House built on crawlspace
Creaky (hardwood) floors
Squeaky (1945) doors ...
A pit bull and a medium mixed breed that sleep with me ...
Come on in. We were expecting you

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post