SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Who has been to Guatemala? Going in November curious about what to expect…
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who has been to Guatemala? Going in November curious about what to expect… Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
I decided earlier this year to step WAY out of my routine and “comfort zone” and signed up to go with a group of folks from my church as well as a couple of other churches in a couple other states to do some mission work in La Libertad Guatemala. Should be about 20 of us total doing the work

Short term trip (9 days including travel) doing finish work on the local church’s Pastor’s Residence. Will be in the ciudad de La Libertad ( I know un pocito Spanish Wink ) and have never been or know much at all about Guatemala.

We will be spending one day touring the Mayan “stuff” at Tikal (I think that is where we are going).

Heading out of Seattle on a red eye to Miami for a 3-hour layover before flying into Guatemala City, then what looks to be an 8-9 hour bus ride Eek to La Libertad. With time change and such, it works out to about 24-26 hours total travel time to get there. Certainly not looking forward to that, but should be able to sleep on the plane and maybe the bus as well.

This is kind of testing the waters for me, have been much more involved in my faith and church over the past couple of years. If goes well, I may have the opportunity to do a two week mission to Nairobi Africa next summer.

Been searching internet and such trying to get info, but it seems pretty sparse for that area. I know SF has a wealth of experience in all things so thought I would post up here too and see what I might learn.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with the exact area you are headed to but I have been to Guatemala City and other areas. Guatemala City had the only McDonalds I have ever seen where they had three shotgun carrying security guards. This DOS INFO MAY HELP

https://travel.state.gov/conte...travel-advisory.html

Posts: 148 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've been to Guatemala City and one of the "cave tubing" experiences while on a cruise ship stop. We walked around the city for a bit and then took a private tour via SUV out west a couple hours, stopping for lunch on the way back. Overall a great trip and felt safe but that's been 20yrs back.

I've also been to Mexico, Honduras and all over Uruguay and Argentina. The situations in each country change frequently so checking out how things are in LATAM before the trip is crucial. My daughter was supposed to go to Peru this spring with her HS Spanish class but that situation there devolved and quickly so they changed their trip to Quito, Ecuador and the Galapagos instead.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
After reading the link above...stay home.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5053 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also read the link.
For reference I've traveled to some less than desirable spots over the years including Nigeria and most of Mexico.
No way I'd take that trip.
Why? What's the possible upside?

I just really don't get the whole "Mission Trip Overseas" thing. Plenty of good to be done locally.

Posts: 1972 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Your experience will make you glad you live in a country like ours.

My church just recently did a missions trip down to Central America somewhere and some of the people said it was a real eye opener. We have it so good here most people have no clue whatsoever.

Posts: 33877 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good many years ago, I had a patient, who was from Guatemala. She had come to this country after marrying an older American stationed there, who was probably CIA. He used to accompany her to the office and I remember him saying, what a dangerous place it was. Probably hasn't changed much.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
State Department prohibiting personal travel by USG employees/families is a pretty serious step. They don't do it lightly.

Posts: 2471 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Australian Government says here that they have:

“Express kidnappings happen. These are where criminals force you to withdraw funds from ATMs. This can occur at petrol stations and shopping centres.“

That’s convenient. Who wants to be bothered with one of those tiresome, long, drawn out kidnappings when express kidnappings are an option?

There’s quite a bit of information at the link. Insect born diseases like Zika and Malaria are common, that health care is limited outside Guatemala City, so make sure your insurance will cover you, etc.

Posts: 11015 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never been down there but I’d have to agree that is plenty of opportunities to do good things here at home. America has a hundred years trying to improve the shit holes of the world and nothing has changed. The cultures just don’t have the desire or ethics to build a society like we had here at home.
Please spend the effort and money helping Americans in America.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 339 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
If God doesn't care enough about everybody knowing your version of it to do it itself why should you?

They're already almost 100% Catholic anywhere south of the border anyway.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fiber optic
posted Hide Post
Disclaimer, I've never been but my wife has gone several times.

Our church has, what sounds like, a similar arrangement to yours. Several groups get together and go to a specific place to do work. In our case they usually go to orphanages and perform repairs and do simple construction. They stay a night in, if I remember correctly, Guatemala City after their flight arrives and then ride one of the famous Chicken Busses to the orphanage the next day. The Chicken Bus itself sounds like something out of an Indiana Jones movie.

My takeaway:
1.) It's a 3rd world country, no real mystery there. You'll see and/or experience poverty, crime, and poor living conditions.

2.) Traveling with a group is a mixed bag. Having someone in the group that's experienced in the area is critical but trying to wrangle a group is its own headache.

3.) Don't drink the water. Bring a bunch of extra toothbrushes in the event you goof.

4.) The stories she tells of the abuse the children at the orphanage have experienced is enough to make me physically ill. I will most likely never go for that reason.

5.) Many places/people will take US dollars but she also takes some quetzals.

Learn and love and to do
What it takes to step through

Posts: 1385 | Registered: November 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I go to Guatemala City regularly. I love it. The city is divided into a series of zones, and if you stay in the safe zone, you will be fine. Going into the country like you are planning is a mixed bag, and you should take some security measures like bringing a local guide. There are drug routes and production facilities up in the mountains which are ruthlessly protected by cartels. But other than that folks are fine, the coffee is delicious and the rum is my favorite in all of Central America.

Posts: 2405 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I have never been to Guatemala however you might want to look at the State Departments travel advisory web site.
It give you a lot of good information on what is going down there and US Embassy contact information.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2575 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Probably should have included that I have already checked the Sate Dept. info, did that before committing to the trip.

We will not be going to any of the “danger zones”. Will be leaving GC from airport and heading northeast up into the “panhandle” (not sure if they call it that). Pretty sure we are going to be in a “upscale” chartered bus, not one of the “regular” ones. Location is in a city of 40,000 or so, won’t be out in a rural areas.

Large group, traveling together with local “chaperones”. There have been previous groups to the same location for earlier stages of the project, so not uncharted or new. Person leading the trip is from my church and has extensive experience running missions in Central/South America and Africa as well. Also backed by international Nazarene Mission Team which is possibly one of the most active denominations when it comes to mission work.

Yup, been to third world countries before - hell just going into Seattle these days probably presents more of a health and safety risk than many third world countries.

Trip insurance provided, even covers medevac if needed. “All inclusive” so no need for cash or be waving around cards.

Confirmed the areas where there are disease issues are also not the area we will be in, little risk for that as well, will stay slathered in repellent.

As for the general comments regarding the mission and doing things here instead, I do things here as well but also felt called to do this, it isn’t an “either/or” situation. It might be in part maybe to remind me of just how good we have it but also to see an area of the world I probably wouldn’t otherwise have a unique opportunity to serve and. Do something for others. If you don’t understand it, I’m afraid can’t explain it any better than that. If you disagree that is your prerogative.

As to going to distant location vs. spending the effort at “home”, I guess the biggest difference is the people being assisted by this want assistance and to do better, not just handouts and a free ride like so many of those who “need help” at home.

We aren’t trying to export American society or cultural ideas, we are working to bring the message of Christ to others. Yes, they are primarily Catholic, as are most Latin countries but many don’t know there are other denominations, understandings, and interpretations of the Bible. There are also still people who have never heard the Message.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bigbuck5
posted Hide Post
Hi 911 Boss, Guatemala is a beautiful country with mostly kind people. If you are traveling with a group on a bus, you'll be fine. Most of what the State Department says is fear mongering. My wife and I have lived in east central Guatemala for the last 8.5 years. Lots to see. The capital is by far the most dangerous part of the country. Just use your situational awareness, stay with your group etc. It's no more dangerous here than a major city in the U.S. I will also add, you are not the target (usually). If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email.

Posts: 356 | Location: Guatemala | Registered: January 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigbuck5:
Hi 911 Boss, Guatemala is a beautiful country with mostly kind people. If you are traveling with a group on a bus, you'll be fine. Most of what the State Department says is fear mongering. My wife and I have lived in east central Guatemala for the last 8.5 years. Lots to see. The capital is by far the most dangerous part of the country. Just use your situational awareness, stay with your group etc. It's no more dangerous here than a major city in the U.S. I will also add, you are not the target (usually). If you have any questions, please feel free to send me an email.

Great post, checks with my experience as well.

Based on your amplifying info (911boss) you’ll be fine. I recommend doing the online customs form the night before your flight. It’s a very simple process and won’t take more than a few minutes, but the Wi-Fi and cell connection is not good at the customs line in Guatemala City so you should plan to do it before you leave rather than standing in line.

Posts: 2405 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder to check state dept. for travel advisory. Not for Guat. but for Columbia where one of my owners and president is traveling in a week. For a wedding. Which is almost certainly not low profile.

I asked him if we needed to work on a succession plan.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recommend doing the online customs form the night before your flight.

I find the Mobile Passport Control but not Online Customs. Is that unique to each country you travel to?

MPC

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12441 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Spent the night at Tikal in 1990. Probably can't do that now. Waking up to howling Gibbons was a treat. Spotted a glimpse of a Queztal camping on another day. They are elusive. Have a wonderful time.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post