SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Got lucky with a hawk rescue yesterday.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got lucky with a hawk rescue yesterday. Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted
Driving up to the house, saw this guy stuck.

Attempted to unstick him by getting him to climb on the shovel with no luck.

Unfortunately, didn’t have someone to video the next thought, if you could call it a thought. Put the phone away, lifted the shovel over and behind his head, then whacked the tar weed plants that were stuck to his tail. I wasn’t quick enough with the phone to catch him in close flying off with some green still stuck to him, but here he is as he gained some altitude.

And another bird bonus, a gaggle of turkeys. This is fun, as the Moms rarely seem to hang onto this many babies. Usually between the bobcats and coyotes, if they manage to hang onto one or two they’re lucky.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Good on you sir. You are an excellent steward.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12961 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Indeed, good on you!

I’d not known of tar weed plants before.

“One benefit of not being ABLE to weedeat our big field, is that the tarweed growing naturally there, is allowed to bloom!  I love the soft yellow glow coming from this lower area below the garden, and the fragrance is unbelievable!…”

https://sierrafoothillgarden.c...vagrant-tarweed/amp/

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GOOD JOB!
Kudos to you!

Posts: 372 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Wow great work saving the hawk!

Unfortunately there's still time to loose a few of those little turkeys but it's good they survived this long.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good work! I enjoy my bird friends.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39286 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Good rescue! Thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31446 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
He would have starved to death if you hadn't helped.

Good job.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very cool, nice work!

Posts: 9247 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
About tarweed, and its stickiness:

https://ucanr.edu/blogs/bugsqu....cfm?tagname=tarweed

I hope that hawk learned his lesson. It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that small critters shelter in tarweed for protection from birds of prey.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
He would have starved to death if you hadn't helped.

Good job.
If a coyote or bobcat didn’t get him. It was really just luck.

I’m sure glad that hitting the plant away from his tail freed him. He seemed to relax a bit as I spoke to him, trying to be soothing and calm, but I didn’t get the impression that he’d have liked me trying to come behind him , trap his wings to his body, then try to handle him.

This was definitely a case where it was better to be lucky than good. Smile I’m just glad it worked out.

ETA:

quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Unfortunately there's still time to loose a few of those little turkeys but it's good they survived this long.
Possibly, but at this point, if one gets remotely close, while the adults walk away, the little guys take flight. They are definitely harder targets than they were a month ago. Smile

Posts: 7096 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post