SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trade value of vehicle options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trade value of vehicle options Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
You can look at KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book) and other used car pricing sites and see for yourself the difference certain packages/options add to the trade-in value.

IIRC correctly, some options on certain models add to the value. But I wouldn't base getting a certain option on how much it would add to the trade-in value; I would base it on whether I would like the option and how much use/function I can get out of it.

It's like "if I buy this option for $100, I can add $25 to the trade in value 4 years from now even though having the option doesn't matter much else to me." Well, you might as well piss away $75 today and come out even. Or even ahead, as you won't have to pay for repairs if the option conks out on you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19665 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just talked to the sales guy (I've worked with him for years, so maybe kind of honest). He said they don't even look at wheels on a trade. He also said they discourage buyers from ordering the Ultimate package because of the retractable steps. They've been trouble in MN winters.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
^^^^^
Is that the Summit white, or the White Frost Tri-coat?

White Frost Tri-Coat.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
... He also said they discourage buyers from ordering the Ultimate package because of the retractable steps. They've been trouble in MN winters.

Interesting. But like I said, you can turn them off. You get a lot more than just the retractable steps on the Ultimate Package. And it's more expensive to piecemeal the options you do want on instead if you forego the Ultimate.

Where I live, winters are mild so it's not a concern.

The retractable steps are really cool ... and they're fully lit underneath. So at night, when they retract, the ground is lit the full length of the vehicle.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
If you are buying a Denali, I wouldn't buy one without those options. Yes it will hurt resale.

Sure it will hurt resale, but not nearly as much as the options he doesn't want will cost him in the first place.

Have a dealer locate a vehicle exactly the way you want it and have it shipped in. Most dealers hate doing this, but will if you press them......The options on resale may add 30% of what they cost new.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:Have a dealer locate a vehicle exactly the way you want it and have it shipped in. Most dealers hate doing this, but will if you press them......The options on resale may add 30% of what they cost new.

I've been working on that today. NOT ONE Denali with a second row 60/40 bench within 400 miles. I guess the soccer moms need the walk through buckets to get car seats in the third row.

Posts: 8958 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It’s not a wife. They’ll make more.

Don’t believe the BS. Find the right dealer, order exactly what you want and still pay same % of invoice cost. Only requires patience, a little work and perhaps some travel to pick up.

They want to sell what they have, but a high volume dealer will configure to your specs, order for you. If you’re so anxious this has become an impulse purchase you can’t wait, disregard.

For that coin, I’ll have what I want.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12419 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
How many feet to the gallon Wink

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
If you doing a lot of research go over to tahoeyukon forum. Also, the folks that seem to always have the best pricing is Laurabuickgmc.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:Have a dealer locate a vehicle exactly the way you want it and have it shipped in. Most dealers hate doing this, but will if you press them......The options on resale may add 30% of what they cost new.

I've been working on that today. NOT ONE Denali with a second row 60/40 bench within 400 miles. I guess the soccer moms need the walk through buckets to get car seats in the third row.

It's most likely that they start started building the 2018's a few months ago and haven't run the line with 2nd row bench seats yet, so there are NONE of them built yet.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:It's most likely that they start started building the 2018's a few months ago and haven't run the line with 2nd row bench seats yet, so there are NONE of them built yet.

I suppose that's possible, but from what I've read the bucket vs 60/40 is a direct replacement. I think it's an option that is added as the vehicle comes down the line rather than having to set up for a run of them.

Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
A lady driving one got stuck between ice covered hills last week. I pulled her up it in my Dodge Ram.

Hers was a full time AWD model. Her problem was that the front wheels wouldn't start helping untill the rear wheels were already spinning, and by then the rear had already slid around, and she was sideways in the road.

If there's an option, get a 4wd transfer case over AWD.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^

They have a traditional 2-4hi-4low dash switch with locking rear differential.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I just bought a 2018 Yukon Denali. It has the ‘Ultimate Package’ — IE. every possible option. Wouldn’t change a thing.

That's my dream truck! What a beauty

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
I just bought a 2018 Yukon Denali. It has the ‘Ultimate Package’ — IE. every possible option. Wouldn’t change a thing.

That's my dream truck! What a beauty

Indeed. Very nice.

I picked up a High Country Silverado in that color a few months ago. I had had black or metallic dark gray vehicles for many years until this one. I like it a lot- it's a nice change.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I got my last truck I was looking at removing some of the options i.e. sunroof. The sales guy told me packages are a regional thing. This truck in this area has a sunroof. If I deleted this option it would be noticed by the next buyer.

Last year I had the bug for another truck. I saw a used Dodge Ram limited with all the options I wanted. However I noticed this truck had a leather bench seat and didnt have the front parking sensors. Its very rare for anything around here to have a bench seat other than a work model. That truck sat on the dealer lot for a few months.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at Yukon’s and wanting one for years...from what I have seen dealers really don’t order ones with bench seats in the Denali version... I think they don’t sell as well and dealers just don’t order them very often. Last one I saw online was a 2017 left over at Dave Smith motors.

The Yukon’s are no longer AWD that ended in 2014.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm going through the process of shopping for a new Yukon. I am trading a 2015 that I bought in early 14 and looking at a 2018 Yukon Denali.

No need to steer me toward other vehicles or tell me I'm an idiot for buying new and trading frequently. I know that, but I like new trucks.

There aren't a lot of options to add on a Denali, but it seems like the ones on dealers' lots generally have sun roofs, rear DVD and other family friendly features. Of course I could order one, but that often nixes the best incentive offers due to the time frame.

The salesmen (honest folk that they are) quickly point out that those options will pay off in trade value. I call bullshit. I'd guess the bling features depreciate even worse than the base vehicle.

What's your opinion on the return value of an option like a sun roof, DVD, upgraded wheels, etc 4 years down the road? My guess is somewhere between zero and 50%. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Are you asking how much trade-in you can get for you existing vehicle ? Go to a CARMAX and see how much they will buy your vehicle. If you like the price they offer, sell it to them. If not then you have a very good idea of how much you can get for it. I hope this helps. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VBVAGUY:Are you asking how much trade-in you can get for you existing vehicle ? Go to a CARMAX and see how much they will buy your vehicle. If you like the price they offer, sell it to them. If not then you have a very good idea of how much you can get for it. I hope this helps. God Bless Smile

No. I was trying to figure out the future return on options that might be on a vehicle on the lot.

I plugged in my current Yukon on Carfax and saw a value. Not sure if that's an estimate or how it proceeds to an offer to buy.