SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody a good shot with a blowgun?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody a good shot with a blowgun? Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Inhale before putting it to your lips.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

What kind of projectile(s) do you use in a blowgun?

50 years ago we used to take a piece of electrical conduit (maybe PVC pipe now) and taking a sharpened shingle nail, made a small cone out of masking tape around the head, then put in end of tube and cut off cone to match diameter of the tube. worked great.

Posts: 265 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peteroniman:
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Mine was lost forever ago, along with my first nunchucks with the swivel chain.

they are probably with your clacker balls

I actually still have a set I got as a kid.

As for what type of projectile?
Link: https://www.amazon.com/SAS-Blo...id=1591121785&sr=8-7

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

What kind of projectile(s) do you use in a blowgun?
All I know is inhale before you put the poison dart in the tube.

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I have one for the unwanted backyard birds at my feeder, but I haven't taken anything in years. I did take a squirrel years ago. These squirrels kept on screwing with some nesting birds(ash-throated flycatchers) I had in a hanging birdhouse. I was fearful that they were going to run the parents away and eat the chicks so I tried my blowgun instead of my Gamo 1200 fps pellet gun. I shot it, and it fell to the ground where it tried to crawl away with its front legs. I had managed to sever its spinal cord with the hunting dart. I quickly put him out of his misery. The birds fledged, and all was good after that.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Inhale before putting it to your lips.

I think any store bought blowgun has a wire that covers part of the opening where you have to push the dart past it. No way to inhale it back past that.

Posts: 3925 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
I had one when I was 16 (75 now). Shot a bunny with it. Solid hit, but bunny ran off.

Threw it away. Frown

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mike_jackmin
posted Hide Post
Theres a couple of tricks.

Put a little tape on the outside of the tube where your support hand goes, you'll have a more consistent stance. Before firing, sight the target, close your eyes, raise the tube into the most comfortable position - then adjust your feet to get on target.

Blowing a consistent puff of air, without moving the tube, is a skill just like mastering the trigger squeeze.

If you are shooting solids, hang a blanket as a backstop and use something to lift the bottom of it a few inches up and towards you, it will trap most of the ammo nicely. Be aware these are just the right size to be choking hazards for kids and dogs. If shooting darts, a big cardboard box works well. Withdraw the darts carefully from the cardboard, they can bend.

Darts have negligible killing power.

And two-eye sighting works very well for me.

Posts: 404 | Registered: March 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post