SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The new pup is great except for a couple things
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The new pup is great except for a couple things Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Molly has fallen in great around here and makes life easy taking care of her.
She just has a couple habits that we can’t get her to stop.
She’ll come and sit by you and you’ll let her and give her a little attention then she will put her paw on you. Albeit gently, you push her paw away and then she just keeps putting it back. You tell her no, or push her paw away and she just keeps going and going. After a minute or so she’ll finally quit and go lay down.
The other thing is if you are sitting on the floor she comes and pokes you in the face with her nose and just lick you.
You push her nose away over and over. Just like the paw it is a minute or so and she’ll finally go and lay down.

How do I get her to quit with the paw and licking??

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Consistency. It’s that simple, and that hard Wink

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5507 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^very well said.

It will be hard and remember that is her way to return your kindness

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Molly and Loki are very similar. I hate to say it but she's asking for attention. Loki puts his paw on my leg, I pet him for 30s - 1min and he's GTG.

Loki wakes me with kisses. He's leaning Papa doesn't like that!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking like a dog, maybe affirming that she's really loved. Something that may have been missing previously. Thank you for being her savior!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Those are things that I would not try to correct myself. She is just looking for, and showing affection. Neither of which she needs to taught to not do. Just my opinion. Glad she is loving her family.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19776 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Don't think I can be of much help for you. I lay on the floor each night with my 13 year old hairy hooligan and kiss him on the face quite often, so when he returns the favor it actually makes me quite happy. Smile Your hound appears to really dig you guys and his new home.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Those are things that I would not try to correct myself. She is just looking for, and showing affection. Neither of which she needs to taught to not do. Just my opinion. Glad she is loving her family.

And that is fine when warranted but she also needs to stop when she is told no.
As it is not always appropriate.
I am trying to sit and eat my dinner yet she is constantly putting her paw on me and licking me.

There is certainly a time it is warranted but that is all she does around you which is always as she hates being anywhere but next to someone.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25703 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Surrounded by
Fruit Loops
Picture of Baran
posted Hide Post
New dogs take a few months to settle in. We rescued a golden retriever this past Feb. she was taken care of but neglected and left in a crate. This dog craves attention.

Maybe distract her with a rawhide retriever roll chew (US made)

Posts: 1528 | Location: Happy Valley, MA | Registered: November 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I think it will settle down after a bit as she becomes more comfortable and convinced that she's going to be allowed to stay. Definitely don't reward the behavior by giving a bone or other distraction device. You could try designating a place where the behavior is allowed and results in attention. Perhaps a particular room or chair. At all other times you'd admonish with a, "not now". You could teach it in a day or two to most intelligent dogs. I find it is good for them to have boundaries. Times when they can be needy and receive attention, and times when they must learn to self-soothe and entertain. If she can't get it, you may have to use a crate when you must be left alone. I have to have all my dogs understand crate time is quiet time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I am trying to sit and eat my dinner yet she is constantly putting her paw on me and licking me.
Now that's a completely different issue. I adore my dog, but when its lunch or dinner time, he goes and hangs out in my office (where he lives at night or when I'm out) until the meal is done. After years of training, I need only point to the office and he departs. When I'm finished eating and we've cleaned up, I give him an 'Ok' and out he comes. A treat given after he accomplishes that behavior has pretty much cemented his compliance. You might try moving your hound to somewhere away from the table and training them that that is their 'place' when the family is eating.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I've found the opposite of pushing away is best. Hold the paw and try not to let it go. She'll tug at it some, and it's an unpleasant experience as she can't get it back. After a bunch of times, she'll not put it on you anymore.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Do you have a mat or dog bed nearby? Perhaps you could train Molly to go lay on her mat on command.

If our dog Carl is being a pest (doesn't happen very often) "Go mat" is his command to go lay on his bed.

Posts: 1820 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
As others have said. This is begging/demanding attention. Ignoring the behavior or correcting with a firm "no" is the way to go. She will eventually get it. The problem is that if the whole family does not stay consistent she will quickly figure out which family member will comply.

Posts: 2736 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Those are both ways for her to show affection and request attention. What you want to do is discourage the behavior without discouraging the dog.

I’ve been known to pinch the offending paw (not terribly hard, just enough that it is uncomfortable and the dog removes the paw on their own). I’m generous with the pets though. “I still love you, I just don’t love unsolicited paws on me.” Our Queensland, who was terrible with the paws, figured it out. He now come up, lays his head on your lap, and turns on the “Please pet me” eyes.

As a special exception, if I pat my chest while I’m standing up, he’ll stand up and “bear hug” me, putting his head on my chest for pets. That’s invitation only thing though.

I got nothing for the kisses other than keeping your face out of range. Our “mongrel hoarde” are all lovers and often solicit and get attention from passers by when they are in the pickup. My typical response when asked, “May I pet your dogs?” is “Sure, they love it, but watch for the Aussies. They are both kissers and the blue Merle is a french kisser, and sneaky about it.”

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Be calm, be assertive and be patient.

Posts: 11199 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have a 7 year old black mouth cur and the dumb thing won't stop licking. She's like she's part lizard. Annoying as hell, I hate being licked by a dog. The other dog figured it out long ago, this one is just apparently stupid. I've tried everything with her, now I just don't even let her around me.

I've worked a few dogs through some serious issues but this one will NOT learn to stop licking.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10755 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post