SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any way to separate glued PVC pipe without destroying the male pipe?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any way to separate glued PVC pipe without destroying the male pipe? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I have to replace the flush valve on my ex-wife's pool filter. The valve stem broke off inside the pipe. It was so tight and I'm not really sure why. I was able to get the old o-rings replaced and put the valve assembly back in but it was again tight as hell. Anyhow long story short is I have to replace everything in the left of the picture. Here's a link to the part I have to replace...

https://www.amazon.com/Pentair...words=pentair+263064

If I cut off the old one the pipes may be a bit short for the filter to fit where I need it (the pump may be in the way).

I figure worst case I will have to cut it and extend it with a coupling and another piece of pipe. But if there is a way to get this to just pull off maybe that's an easier option.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I would think you couldn't just pull them apart. When they are glued the glue actually melts the plastics together creating the seal/bond. Looks like your best bet is to cut and do the coupling thing. It would be the easiest from my limited experience. Good luck.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Yes or well mostly yes but it doesn't always work out that way.

Cut the female fitting long was to two places about 1/4" apart. Just cut the female fitting not the pipe inside. Take a straight screwdriver and pry the small piece out you just cut.

Then in the section you just removed pry the other sides of the female fitting.

Be careful and go slow but I've done this a few times. Wear safety glasses because small pieces can fly/crack off when you pry the female part.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
first search on google for ungluing pvc. not sure if itll work in ur setup

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWuxVfHJ6o

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Yes or well mostly yes but it doesn't always work out that way.

Cut the female fitting long was to two places about 1/4" apart. Just cut the female fitting not the pipe inside. Take a straight screwdriver and pry the small piece out you just cut.

Then in the section you just removed pry the other sides of the female fitting.

Be careful and go slow but I've done this a few times. Wear safety glasses because small pieces can fly/crack off when you pry the female part.

Thanks. I'll give this a shot. Nothing to lose. I may heat up the female part with a heat gun when I try to separate it.

quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
first search on google for ungluing pvc. not sure if itll work in ur setup

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuWuxVfHJ6o

Ahh the old "google is your friend" post. Big Grin

I googled. As with every google video I found they destroy the part I need to save.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
hehehe, i was hoping you caught my ode to a "whats your deal" Big Grin

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What about:

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html

I've seen larger versions of these tools.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It looks like both solutions offered are to save the fitting. Unless the fitting is in the middle of a part you don't want to or can't take apart, it is rarely worth fooling with it was the fittings aren't that expensive.

In the OP's case, he wants to save the pipe inside the fitting to avoid having to add a coupler and stub of pipe (which looks kludgey).

Comet24's approach or a variant often works. If the pipe is dry and brittle from too much sun the odds go down.

The only other thing I'll throw out there (in the completely opposite direction than you're heading OP) is to ask the question, "Is this part something you are likely to need to replace again?" Is so, you might consider getting some PVC unions, cutting the part out and plumbing the replacement in with unions. This would make the next replacement easier and cleaner. Just a thought...

Posts: 7072 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So how old is the flush valve and when will it break again?? Maybe use a coupler to join the flush valve so it is easy to change out the next time.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd whack that sucker off with my big PVC cutters and install the new part on whatever couplings and tube I needed to make it work. 'KISS' approach is always my focus.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Im not sure he should be "whackin that sucker off" at the ex's house...

Big Grin

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Slowing and 41 have a great idea. No idea why I didn't think of unions. I'm sure I won't be replacing this again but someone else may. If I have to cut off the valve I may as well spend a few bucks extra so it's easier next time. I only do this work because my kids use the pool. Next time it needs to be replaced they will hopefully be out on their own.

These go to eleven.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Cut the Large pvc pipes evenly, use couplings and add the amount of new PVC pipe on the other side and install the valve.

PVC is cheap, and whomever she has over to fix it next time will do the same thing until it all has to be replaced.

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
As stated above. Install unions on each of the horizontal pipes to aid with repairs at a later date. Your looking at about $20-30 in parts and will save so much time in the future.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post