SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sweet Meteor of Death texts us: Picking up some milk, be there in about 70 years
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet Meteor of Death texts us: Picking up some milk, be there in about 70 years Login/Join 
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted
https://www.foxnews.com/scienc...lide-earth-esa-warns

Impact probability is "non-zero." Put your affairs in order, you have until 2084.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1636 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I better get ready, I might live to be 110...

Posts: 13314 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll be 132.
No sense in stopping smoking now.

Posts: 359 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Yawn...call me when a REAL asteroid makes the cut.

The asteroid, 2019 SU3, is less than 50' across; a direct hit anywhere is undoubtedly a bad day for those involved (on the order of only about 500KT of explosive power) but for the rest of us your basic nothingburger. As 70% the planet is covered by water, There is a better than average chance that is where any impact would occur. A hit or airburst over /into an ocean would do almost nothing.

There will be lots of ridiculous fear mongering over this until real scientists point out the facts.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
We don't want a stinkin' meteor.

We want THE PARABELLUM COMET!!!

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Or the Yellowstone megavolcano.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Yawn...call me when a REAL asteroid makes the cut.

The asteroid, 2019 SU3, is less than 50' across; a direct hit anywhere is undoubtedly a bad day for those involved (on the order of only about 500KT of explosive power) but for the rest of us your basic nothingburger. As 70% the planet is covered by water, There is a better than average chance that is where any impact would occur. A hit or airburst over /into an ocean would do almost nothing.

There will be lots of ridiculous fear mongering over this until real scientists point out the facts.

Havimg said that, there are a few places in the USA, and even more over here in UK, that would be greatly improved by a meteor-meet...

Posts: 11444 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it wipes us out, will the conspiracy mongers finally admit that Elvis is dead?

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2107 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This time frame is beyond my planning spectrum.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Fuck it, the planet is going to implode in 12 years or something anyways. I've already stopped putting money into 401k, what's the point?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28692 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Timely, as I just got done reading The Last Policeman trilogy.
" What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway? Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact. The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job—but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week—except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares. "

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
egregore Big Grin

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
We don't want a stinkin' meteor.

We want THE PARABELLUM COMET!!!

The Spirit of the Great SIGFORM is Strong.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I'll be 101. Would be a different way to go.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Not in my lifetime

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38249 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
If I want to see this i need to start taking better care of myself.

Posts: 6514 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I hope I see this thing hit, I'll be celebrating my 125th birthday.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
In related new the European Space Agency has engaged Greta Thunberg to shriek at the meteor. They have determined that her voice has the capability to alter the path.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 743 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post