SIGforum
Anyone make the roux for their gumbo in the oven?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3980028224

April 16, 2017, 11:14 PM
Sportshooter
Anyone make the roux for their gumbo in the oven?
I followed a fellow's roux making method of baking the flour for 20 minutes at 350F in the oven. The flour still looked white until mixed with the oil. The color wasn't very dark and that bothered me. It tasted OK, but I may have been hungrier than usual. Has anyone else used the oven method and got a dark chocolate colored roux?
April 16, 2017, 11:21 PM
PASig
We used to make brown roux for brown gravy in the oven when I was a cook in the Army.

We used melted shortening and flour in a large roasting pan and baked it 375-400 stirring with a whisk regularly. The key was to start with a thin layer of the raw roux and the constant stirring.

April 16, 2017, 11:30 PM
flesheatingvirus
I think it's easier on the stove top. I get mine pretty dark.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
April 16, 2017, 11:59 PM
zoom6zoom
The longer you leave it in the oven the darker it will get.
The advantage is that it doesn't need to be watched as closely. If you're trying to do a dark roux on the stove, you gotta watch it like a hawk once it starts getting dark.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.
April 17, 2017, 04:51 AM
Apphunter
I usually make it in the oven. It takes about an hour and gives me time to do all my prep work.
April 17, 2017, 08:26 AM
ShouldBFishin
I've not tried it yet, but ATK just had an episode where they toasted the flour in the oven at 425 to make a roux.

America's Test Kitchen - Big Easy Favorites
April 17, 2017, 09:15 AM
FRANKT
Uh, no.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan
April 17, 2017, 09:19 AM
flesheatingvirus
I tried this last time; it turned out very well.

Cook's Illustrated Chicken and Sausage Gumbo (stovetop roux)

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
April 17, 2017, 09:22 AM
smschulz
When I made for Gumbo it was light too.
However, my understanding it was because I clarified the butter (removed solids after melting).
Didn't really bother me and the Gumbo was great (but man is it expensive to make good gumbo).
April 17, 2017, 10:16 AM
dpsouthhtr
Try bacon grease or just regular lard in place of the oil. It will change your life....
April 17, 2017, 10:29 AM
hray
^^^^^ what he said

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP
April 17, 2017, 02:49 PM
mark_a
Yes, a few times when I was behind but I prefer to make it on the stove top.

But, I figure if it is good enough for Alton it is good enough for me...
April 17, 2017, 02:53 PM
exx1976
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
I followed a fellow's roux making method of baking the flour for 20 minutes at 350F in the oven. The flour still looked white until mixed with the oil. The color wasn't very dark and that bothered me. It tasted OK, but I may have been hungrier than usual. Has anyone else used the oven method and got a dark chocolate colored roux?

Wait, what? You cooked o lunch flour in the oven? You need to cook the fat as well in order to make a roux....
April 17, 2017, 03:18 PM
FRANKT
quote:
You need to cook the fat as well in order to make a roux....

Not according to the dry roux technique link(s) in some of the posts above.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan
April 17, 2017, 04:14 PM
GT-40DOC
quote:
Originally posted by dpsouthhtr:
Try bacon grease or just regular lard in place of the oil. It will change your life....

Yes indeed it will!!! I do make it on the stove top.
April 17, 2017, 04:17 PM
parabellum
How ya stir it? You'd have to keep opening the oven.
April 17, 2017, 04:26 PM
Sportshooter
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I've not tried it yet, but ATK just had an episode where they toasted the flour in the oven at 425 to make a roux.

America's Test Kitchen - Big Easy Favorites

I trust ATK. So, I'll try it at 45-55 minutes at 425F. It makes the color look right and not as much oil is used. Thanks guys.
April 17, 2017, 04:32 PM
jbcummings
Here's Alton Brown's version of shrimp gumbo complete with oven baked roux instructions.

Shrimp Gumbo - Alton Brown

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.
April 17, 2017, 05:05 PM
parabellum
Seems unnatural to not stir your roux.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
April 17, 2017, 06:34 PM
BamaJeepster
A dry roux?
That can't be true
A roux you can't stir?
Not for me; no sir!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams