SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tire Inflater With Intergral Pressure Gauge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tire Inflater With Intergral Pressure Gauge? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
My el-cheapo Harbor Freight tire inflater with pressure gauge bit the dust, yesterday. Well, the valve stem fitting and hose did, but the rest isn't very useful without those.

Amazon has plenty of choices for ±$30 that get good reviews, like this one: DIYCO Digital Tire Pressure Gauge and Inflator | Model D3, but I figure this is something worth doing right, as it's something I use frequently.

By "tire inflater," I'm referring to this kind of thing:

Not the actual compressor.

Any recommendations? I don't need digital, but I'd prefer it, as my eyes aren't that great any more, and sometimes the gauge is positioned awkwardly.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
el-cheapo Harbor Freight

I just had a Hotdog compressor bite it and no spare parts anywhere - To the Dump -

Harbor Freight sells nothing but junk.

Posts: 494 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Vair, I have their 440P and the gauge works well. They have models from $40 to $300+.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Viair, I've got the 400P, I use it for 35" tires on my Jeep. You can get away with a smaller one for cars/

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I have had good luck with Vair, I have their 440P and the gauge works well. They have models from $40 to $300+.

Viair (note additional "i"), perhaps?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

+1. Viair is the go-to for a lot of Jeep and other off-readers.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
My company uses something like this...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
a few months ago I purchased a Jaco FlowPro tire inflator gauge, I have used it a couple of times with my air compressor and it is really helpful.

About $37 bucks

My unit has an inline analog gauge for measuring the air in the tire as you fill it up.

It screws onto the valve so it creates a nice seal and you can have a hand free.

HK Ag

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I use this for tires:
Husky Home and Auto Inflator

Posts: 6063 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Longacre 52009 Deluxe Quick Fill Tire Gauge

They have them for 75 bucks on Amazon. Very durable and longacre has a good reputation in the industry.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Milton S-506. I think they are still made in the USA and repair parts are available. They stand up to constant use in a shop so a homeowner should have no problem.
You can buy them in the mid $30 range online.

https://www.miltonindustries.c...k-inflator-gage.html

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Milton S-506. I think they are still made in the USA and repair parts are available. They stand up to constant use in a shop so a homeowner should have no problem.

As in here: https://www.amazon.com/Milton-...+inflator+with+gauge

$35 bucks and it's been a solid unit. The gauge glass is somewhat magnified, so easy to read.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JRC:
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

As in here: https://www.amazon.com/Milton-...+inflator+with+gauge

$35 bucks and it's been a solid unit. The gauge glass is somewhat magnified, so easy to read.

Bingo. That's what we use.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have the inflator, just the gauge, but Rhino has been pretty good. I like the big gauge,
I think it's rebranded, likely Chinese, but it works well

Rhino Inflator

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you are still looking at actual compressors you can carry with you in your vehicle, I've been impressed with my Viair 88P.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post