SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boat battery replacement safety question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boat battery replacement safety question Login/Join 
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
generally that means there is an open circuit like lights or ignition on, maybe an accessory switch, or something wired straight to the battery around the fuse block.

So I went back an hour later to investigate and when I took off the bridge between the negative posts on both batteries and put it back on again, no sparks.

I think it's a capacitor on the auto bilge that gets charged from the direct line but after it charges a very short time, no more sparking.

Posts: 1460 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wino:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
generally that means there is an open circuit like lights or ignition on, maybe an accessory switch, or something wired straight to the battery around the fuse block.

So I went back an hour later to investigate and when I took off the bridge between the negative posts on both batteries and put it back on again, no sparks.

I think it's a capacitor on the auto bilge that gets charged from the direct line but after it charges a very short time, no more sparking.

Bilge pumps don't have capacitors, they're a simple pump, they are turned on by a float switch, when water raises the switch it closes the circuit and pump comes on till the water level goes down and opens the circuit.

Change the zincs in your engine, keep up with those, do water pump impellors every 2 years. What motor do you have? Use non-ethanol gas (rec 90) and a stabilizer (pri-g etc.), that way if it sits for a while you won't have any fuel related issues. I would put a built in 20 amp, 2 bank charger 10/10amps. Keep up with the trailer- greasing the bearings is neglected by so many people. Also always check that the bilge pump works (float switch) before every trip.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post