SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microwave problems
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microwave problems Login/Join 
Saluki
posted
20 year old Sharp has failed, bad noise and no heat. Guess it's time for a replacement.

Are the convection / microwave units worth the effort in this smaller size? I think of a microwave as simple heat not cooking, if you know what I mean. Now there are only two of us and an oven seems like a waste of effort for a hat full of food.

Any input would be welcome.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Beware that new microwaves are not up to the quality standards of the older units - at least not the ones I see in the stores. I guess that is to be expected since they cost a fraction of what a good microwave did 15-20 years ago.

Unless you have a special need for convection microwave I would not bother.

Our old microwave was as reliable as a rock for decades until it finally died. I bought a new LG and have had multiple problems with it in short order (bad thermal fuse, bad door switch, and cracked glass platter), but was able to repair myself as shipping costs for warranty repair would have exceeded the value of the microwave.

I suggest buying a microwave from Best Buy or such and getting the extended warranty that allows you to bring the microwave back to the store for repair. I never get extended warranties but I wish I did for my LG microwave.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I don't use a microwave anymore since I got one of the Calphalon Convection Ovens. You can get them after Christmas for $100. Smile

https://www.amazon.com/Calphal...words=calphalon+oven

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Convection microwaves are awesome!

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If all you need it for is reheating smallish amounts of food go to mallwart and pay less than 40 bucks for a 900watt unit. We have been using the same one for close to 5 years and at 40 bucks its served us well.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And here I was expecting a discussion of tin foil hats...

I agree on the size thing. It seems like a waste to use a full-sized oven to bake two potatoes. I'd like to try a combo microwave/convection oven, but I have to wait until something breaks to talk myself into it.

If you're going the small microwave route, make sure you still pick one out big enough for the dinner plate to fit in it. I've seen that "oops" before.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2071 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post