SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Diesel vs. gas advice needed (Ford F250)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesel vs. gas advice needed (Ford F250) Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
I'm strongly considering living in a travel trailer on base in Maryland as the cost is about 1/3 to 1/2 what a small apartment will be.

In order to live comfortably I think I'm gonna have to get rid of the Forerunner and pick up a truck. 5000 lbs on the forerunner doesn't pull much trailer, especially if I get a 4-season model.

So...if I am looking at F250's, is the initial investment worth it for the diesel. A LOT of my driving is short trips as I always live near work, I've heard that can be problematic with diesels and build-up. I put on average about 4K miles on a vehicle so there isn't a huge annual maintenance issue either way. Most of my little short trips and errands are done on the motorcycle currently, but once I get my dog I'll likely be taking the truck more often.

I've also heard a diesel does better when pulling anything.

This truck will likely retire with me as I don't foresee getting rid of it. So it will be making much longer trips later in its life.

Does extreme cold affect a diesel in any adverse way? Is 70K miles on a used diesel still pretty comparable to 25-30K on a gas engine?

I'm also not completely against settling for a 1/2T, probably go with a Tundra...too many damn options.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6342 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
If you aren’t towing the trailer very much I’d probably buy the gasoline engine truck. The chief advantages to a diesel is their torque and that they get much better fuel mileage when towing. My experience has been that a properly maintained gasoline engine will last until the rest of the vehicle is falling apart, so longevity is less of a selling point. Gas motors are cheaper to buy and maintain. I drove 7.3L Powerstroke diesel F-250s and had an old 12 valve Cummins Dodge Ram and they were the cat’s meow back before the federal emissions controls became more of an issue in around 2005.

Posts: 26938 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
If you aren’t towing the trailer very much I’d probably buy the gasoline engine truck. The chief advantages to a diesel is their torque and that they get much better fuel mileage when towing. My experience has been that a properly maintained gasoline engine will last until the rest of the vehicle is falling apart, so longevity is less of a selling point. Gas motors are cheaper to buy and maintain. I drove 7.3L Powerstroke diesel F-250s and had an old 12 valve Cummins Dodge Ram and they were the cat’s meow back before the federal emissions controls became more of an issue in around 2005.

This ^^^^^^^
Modern diesels are only worth it if towing and hauling alot over long distances. Arfmel nailed it in a paragraph. Having a 8,000 lb. daily driver will cost you more than you wanna pay.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen, that's much of what I've read...trailer won't move but once every 60 days...hell, the truck won't move but once a week unless it's raining.

I'll look for a Tundra or gas F250, should be similar price to trade in on the forerunner so I'm not out much money. 10k towing get a hell of a lot more trailer than 5k.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6342 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
I'm a huge proponent of getting the diesel, however with what your describing your uses as I'd consider sticking with the gas motor. The diesel would be fine as a daily driver, however constant short runs and or sitting the majority of the time you'll never get the additional cost out of it.

This is coming from someone who just bought a 17 Ram with the Cummins motor in it this past February. I intend to get a camper at some point, however I drive 30 minutes to an hour plus for work everyday and occasionally pull a trailer. I also don't need to worry about the emissions equipment as it's been handles already helping the motor work the way it was truly designed. Wink

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I’ve said this before. I drove diesel trucks before they were “cool”. After putting pencil to paper, my last two trucks (F250s) have been gas burners.
Diesels are too much money up front, too much money on maintenance, and I do NOT want to have to work on one out of warranty.

So, in short, I concur with the opinion that the gas truck would probably be the better choice.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
I have no advice on the diesels, but, should you get a F250 gasser, I can highly recommend the 6.2 liter gas motor.

I have a 2013 F250 with the 6.2, with over 200,000 miles on it. Regular oil changes are your friend. My truck pulls trailers at least once a week, and this thing hasn't skipped a beat. Pulling a 5-10k lb trailer would be no problem for this motor.

Now, the biggest problem will be finding a truck and a trailer, for a reasonable price Eek . Good luck Otto!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4935 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i have been looking for a used diesel pre-smog for a long time. No dice for something that is not very well used and affordable.

The Ford 6.2 gas has been a good motor in the 3/4 ton class truck. The Toyota 1/2 ton with 5.7 is a beast of a truck for what it is.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19231 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern diesel's are not what they used to be, and are not super high mileage engines like they used to be.

All the emissions stuff hurt their mileage too.

I bought a used '13 Duramax 3 years ago for trips, hauling our 5th wheel, ect. Overall, happy with the truck, but not so much with the diesel aspect of it. Had 36K on it when I bout it in '18, has 80K on it now.

Higher maintenance costs, higher repair bills, higher fuel costs, and I wonder how far past 100-120K miles it'll go.

I recently pulled a 5000 lb trailer from Ohio to Idaho. Car hauler with a tractor on it. 13 MPG over the 2000 miles. That isn't much better than a gas engine, not to mention the higher price of diesel.

And DEF is just another expense/headache.

My wife and I have talked through this same discussion. While we like the towing of the Diesel, the modern fuel mileage, emissions crap, longevity, and high price doesn't make sense anymore, unless you are towing a lot, or towing a lot with a business.

Our next truck to haul our camper around will be a gasser.

Posts: 761 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Normally I’d recommend choosing a trailer first, then sizing a truck to tow it.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Consider the weight of your trailer, any payload like putting the motorcycle in the bed, etc.

Tundra is rated at 8800 to 10300
F250 12,300-15,000,
F150 5000 to 11,300.
Ram 1500 6150 to 8290

Posts: 23574 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
With Tundra mileage you’d be better served by just getting a 2500…not that much difference in MPG but a lot more capability and space.

Ride comfort can be an issue with 3/4 tons. I’m not that familiar with Ford but in the Ram family if you can sacrifice some payload numbers then the off-road package / power wagon package gives you a much softer on/off road ride…..just at the expense of payload.

0:01

Posts: 4215 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Get a diesel if you can swing it. Its a much better towing experience and resale on a diesel is much higher.

Posts: 7401 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
F250 Godzilla. Talked to a guy who pulled a 32' trailer through the Rockies on an 8,000 mile trip. Said it never slowed down.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i know you mentioned your buddy with the Godzilla before ArtieS. That is a good report to hear. I would love one in a dually with flatbed and 4wd. A work truck. Maybe even the SWB F250 in the same bed and drive configuration. I have already ran by the CFO and it did not go well Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19231 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
For your purposes the F250 sounds like overkill in any of it's forms. Any of the regular full size trucks should meet your needs just fine. I think they pretty much all have towing capacities over 10k these days.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't post much if at all, but if you would like to discuss a combo deal (truck and trailer) with me please contact me via the email in my profile.

Rick

Posts: 197 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
For your purposes the F250 sounds like overkill in any of it's forms. Any of the regular full size trucks should meet your needs just fine. I think they pretty much all have towing capacities over 10k these days.

What you want/need today may be different in the future. If this is the final purchase before retirement, leave yourself some options. Id go F250 or similar. Gas vs. diesel???

Posts: 3956 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I have an 03 F250 that originally was a 6.0 diesel and is now 7.3. I really like it but I only tow light and plow snow with it (and it's great for that) but my next one will be another F250 (or 350) and gas. Definitely more economic in the fuel department.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5690 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I’m a diesel guy. We currently have 2 diesel vehicles in our family fleet but given you’re use I can honestly say that a diesel would be a poor decision.

Get a gas F-250 and call it a day…

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6332 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post