SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yubikey + Keysmart = no NFC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yubikey + Keysmart = no NFC Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I got a yubikey and like it. I also got a couple of keysmart key organizers and I like them.

I initially got the keysmart to carry and protect my yubikey but it doesn't fit as expected. The hole in the yubikey is too small to go over the posts of the keysmart. If I put a bunch of washers in and just use the threads of the retaining screws, I can get it in the keysmart but then I have issues getting the NFC (Near Field Communication) functionality to work with my iPhone. One online guy reports no issues with a Pixel phone. I've not heard from anyone else with an iPhone yet.

Any tips for getting it working with the keysmart or is the metal on the keysmart blocking the NFC signal?

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd contact Yubikey or Keysmart, or both. They're in the best position to advise you on these products.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
is the metal on the keysmart blocking the NFC signal?
Undoubtedly. How about connecting the Yubikey with a small split ring? Yeah, it would add bulk, but would address both your issues.

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
is the metal on the keysmart blocking the NFC signal?
Undoubtedly. How about connecting the Yubikey with a small split ring? Yeah, it would add bulk, but would address both your issues.
Well, the key will eventually get ruined if it's not protected by being in the keysmart. I think I'll just leave it at home.

I ordered another yubikey as a backup. I should order more to keep in the safe and other places, then if I do ruin one it won't matter.

Posts: 45383 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
... is the metal on the keysmart blocking the NFC signal?

NFC uses low-power RF (radio frequencies). The Keysmart is metal. Metal blocks RF. So, yes, I imagine it is.

Find something non-metallic in which to keep the Yubikey?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
I know I could Google these things, but this is just easier...

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post