SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New career options, need wisdom
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New career options, need wisdom Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bean:
quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Additive manufacturing

This is the only choice of the 3 with a future. You can complete any task of the other 2 with it.

I would say not during the remainder of his working years. We're not as close to replacing machining with additive manufacturing, contrary to popular belief.

The precision and surface finish vs. economics just isn't there yet.

How about the structural strength?!??! I am amazed at the metal parts but are the pieces as strong as something forged and then machined???

There is still that question depending on the sintering process. Much testing would be required to develop standards for 'printed' material as exists for 'current' materials specified by AISI/SAE/UNS/IADS/ANSI/ASTM, etc.

That said, a local medical device company has FDA approval for, and is producing, 3D sintered titanium spinal implants. But that approval is for one small family of parts, not a blanket material/process approval.

Posts: 54 | Registered: February 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there enough steady growth in Additive for the next 10-15 years???

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:

Additive manufacturing is in its infancy. So, I would say that there is enough for the next 100 years or more.

Think about where machining was 100 years ago and even today there are still advances in the technology as robotics increasingly become involved in the process.

At the Sci-Fi level, the ultimate goal of additive manufacturing is the ability to deposit individual atoms into a molecule. That'll probably be off another 100 years or more....

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:

Additive manufacturing is in its infancy. So, I would say that there is enough for the next 100 years or more.

Think about where machining was 100 years ago and even today there are still advances in the technology as robotics increasingly become involved in the process.

At the Sci-Fi level, the ultimate goal of additive manufacturing is the ability to deposit individual atoms into a molecule. That'll probably be off another 100 years or more....

I personally doubt it'll take more than 15 years to get that good, additive manufacturing will completely remove waste from the equation when producing anything. I will concede esh21167's point below however. There is a lot to say about the finishing of any parts, but we're getting closer and closer to smooth with it.

quote:
Originally posted by esh21167:
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
quote:
Additive manufacturing

This is the only choice of the 3 with a future. You can complete any task of the other 2 with it.

I would say not during the remainder of his working years. We're not as close to replacing machining with additive manufacturing, contrary to popular belief.

The precision and surface finish vs. economics just isn't there yet.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BUT - not all manufacturing is going full automation. Still lots of people involved, especially in smaller businesses that don’t have the capital to automate.

Welding? Yes, good job prospects all over the world. Manufacturing and SERVICE and REPAIR. Sure there are robots, but that is a small percentage as far as how much welding gets done.
Really good money in welding? TIG in the medical , nuclear and aerospace fields.

CNC? Good field, cleaner, (generally speaking) than welding.

Interesting related work? Manual machining in a prototyping field. Not production.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Was in that boat when I was 50. Had a career with Bell Laboratories doing many things, including International Product Management.

After taking the voluntary retirement option, I got into Sales for a small company selling desktop CNC machines. After a few years, I moved into Manufacturing Manager. After that lay-off, I was 60 and looked at my skills.

With an advanced degree in International Business, what I liked to do was shoot and help people learn about shooting (NRA Instructor). I got a job with a company doing armed security on Federal contracts. Been doing it for 13 years: not hard work until you need to get hands-on! I'd suggest looking out of the box (heh, heh) and expand your horizons. There's a job out there for you that will compliment your skills and your age!

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All I know is that there are 20 y.o. kids out on the inner net making many many hundreds of dollars being influencers and making hokey
videos.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54671 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post