SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My health insurance premium is going....down?!?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My health insurance premium is going....down?!? Login/Join 
Smarter than the
average bear
posted
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana, now just my wife and I on the plan. It's a high deductible plan, and I got a notice saying it is renewing on 12/1 and premium is going from $1363 to $1208. Now that's a ridiculous amount of money regardless, but I'm astonished that it's going down. It is a Grandfathered plan, but that hasn't stopped it from going up year after year.

Not looking a gift horse in the mouth (expressions like this crack me up too), but any idea on what the heck is going on?

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The deductible amount hasn’t increased, has it?

Posts: 1182 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsmccull:
The deductible amount hasn’t increased, has it?

No. They call it a "health saver" plan, but it's not a health savings account, or anything like that. We pay out of pocket up to $5600/year, and they pay 100% after that. Same as it's been since before Obamacare.

The only thing I can think of is that it being a "grandfathered" plan they don't have to take high risk or pre-existing conditioned patients, and now some of the higher cost individuals are dropping off. When Obamacare appeared I had talked to an agent and he recommended that I stay on my plan because it was grandfathered, although up until now rates have climbed annually anyway.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Mine went down too for 2019.

HDHP with HSA, but went down almost $50 a month for me. Nothing has changed in the plan at all.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
For 1/1/18 to 12/31/18 my premium went from $1700/mo to $2900/mo - a whopping 71% increase.

Good to hear they're going down for you this year.

I left that carrier earlier this year and for 2019 my new carriers premium is only going up by 5.8%.

Posts: 3737 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Ours has leaped as well, the wrong direction. $1800 a month for shitty coverage for my wife, daughter and I. Getting very tired of this.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
When you get over 60 but before 65 they really gouge you. The premiums go through the roof and deductibles are high.
So much for the Affordable Care Act. This one thing would keep me from ever again voting Democrat for a national race.
Not that I did before.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
For 1/1/18 to 12/31/18 my premium went from $1700/mo to $2900/mo - a whopping 71% increase.

Wait a minute? Did you say a month? Per MONTH?

Jesus, Mary, & Joseph!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I can think of is that it being a "grandfathered" plan they don't have to take high risk or pre-existing conditioned patients, and now some of the higher cost individuals are dropping off. When Obamacare appeared I had talked to an agent and he recommended that I stay on my plan because it was grandfathered, although up until now rates have climbed annually anyway.

Don't worry your health insurance company is still making plenty of money.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mine went from $2165/month down to $1950 or thereabouts. BCBS Texas Silver HMO Plan. For just my bride and me.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Mine went down $104/mo. A new category is offered, instead of family coverage I have insured plus spouse. Since all of my kids have reached ages past coverage for 3 years. I think it was a great way to save on premiums.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4842 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just did my annual enrollment

mine went down a bit also - like $15 for 'the same' plan

cost is about $265 / month for the family -- but that is one of our main 'selling points' in terms of benefits -- our actual pay is not known as industry leading but the benefits are ...

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm only half joking here, but save your money, get rid of insurance, and use the ER. When they ask you your name, no comprende, my name Juan Gonzalez.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Wait a minute? Did you say a month? Per MONTH?

Jesus, Mary, & Joseph!

Yes, that was per month for myself, my wife, and our daughter.

Posts: 3737 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I pay $15/week and that's because of the stupid BMI charts. If I was under the limit it would be free.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16121 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine jumped 13.7% this year, and now it's 272% more than what it was when I started the plan in January 2010. Health Insurance is the biggest bill for me each month, more than my mortgage and utilities combined.

Posts: 492 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Mine is going down as well.

The devil is in the details. I am keeping my plan but a lot of the fine print (copays, out of network coverage, breadth and depth of the provider and pharmacy network, co-insurance) has changed.

I think the insurance industry has figured out that they pay a big price in PR for the monthly premiums, and not such a big price for fine-print tweaking.

But that's fine. I just have to make sure I pay closer attention.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post