SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody Still Play Combat Flight Sims?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Still Play Combat Flight Sims? Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I don't know what got me started but I was reminiscing about my days playing Air Warrior on dial up. Are there any modern ones that are in that same vein? I would spend hours playing and it was a ton of fun.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7150 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Been out of it for a while, but we were talking about DCS the other day and it look pretty amazing. And the base game if free.
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
used to play Falcon quite a bit - had a stick, throttle and rudder pedals

my weak spot was monitors - they were always small - and now big screens are pretty cheap

haven't played a game since I graduated University - so that's been 26 years

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53787 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Big time combat flight simulator junkie.
Started with SWOTL... Then Red Baron, Pacific Air War 1942... European Air War.

Also beta's Dynamix's desert air war game before they went out of business.

Still have all the software!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7185 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
If you like WWII era fighters and fighter bombers, try IL-2 Sturmovik. This game had some of the best flight physics ever modeled on a PC. The fan community was also very strong in supporting this game.

It has been while since it was out, but you can probably find it on Steam or GOG.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2081 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Yep, IL-2 Sturmovik is $9.99 on Steam. Spent many, many hours with this game. The flight modeling is fantastic, especially when you take damage.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish.

Does anybody even make a good one these days? I used to play a10 tank killer, aces of the pacific and of course, Chuck Yeagers Air Combat.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
I liked Ace Combat 4 & 5 on PS2, that was probably the most recent things I've played...on a 27" CRT TV.

Posts: 2601 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, DCS is the new standard as zoom zoom linked above.

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with Air Warrior, but if you're looking for a modern flight combat game, might want to look into War Thunder.

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'd like to find something I can do with my son, and I love aviation. I'm not into shooter games like he is. He has an X-Box One. Do they make any good ones for that platform, or are you better off going with a PC? This is probably of enough importance for me to do it right.

Posts: 11432 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking about this the other day myself. Took my kids to the air show last month and they loved it. My oldest is about the age I started playing air combat simulators (12) so I was wondering if they even make these games any more.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I played Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator from 1999 to 2002 or so, both standalone and online as well. It's remarkable to think of what I was able to do with Win98 and a 56K modem.
I must have downloaded more than a hundred aircraft. I still have all those old files on backup. I had great fun playing it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I will definitely check out War Thunder. I'm also checking out Aces High III although that one is a $15 a month subscription. Air Warrior was the first MMO game that really took off. I played it on a 486 system to start. Then upgraded to an AMD K6-II. The story of the creators is pretty amazing.

https://www.engadget.com/2012/...d-the-kesmai-legacy/

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7150 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
IL2 - Countless hours playing that. Have a friend who was focused enough to create his own missions.
I would love to get back into it but need a new PC. Interesting thread!

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Warbirds... Played online all of the time. Was part of a squadron that had 2-3 scheduled missions each week that would be in excess of 2 hours each. Also the squadron would participate in campaigns made up of many squadrons and hundreds of "pilots".

We flew mostly navy stuff, but also loved flying over Europe.

Warbirds had an annual convention that I would attend to participate in huge LAN gaming parties and to meet squad mates (1 of which flew and fought at Guadal Canal, he was in his late 70's 10-15 years ago).

I miss that game. It is still around I think, but the community is gone with most jumping ship due to pricing issues, service issues, bankruptcy, and changes in the company's main focus (from sims to online gambling I think). Many of the developers left and started WWII Online.

It was great fun that was theraputic...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1552 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I'd like to find something I can do with my son, and I love aviation. I'm not into shooter games like he is. He has an X-Box One. Do they make any good ones for that platform, or are you better off going with a PC? This is probably of enough importance for me to do it right.

99% sure you need to go the PC route with this one. Not only are the games more realistic, but you can expand almost everything as much as you want. Most of the PC sims have dedicated modding communities and the airplanes and missions can be literally endless. You can also start with a simple gamepad control setup and then step up to a flight stick and throttle if you want. The sky really is the limit. Razz

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1784 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I played Combat Flight Sims for many, many years.
Starting with Chuck Yeager's and almost everything up to Microsoft Combat Flight Sim and finally IL2.
Microsoft's Zone allowed us to go online and I joined a squadron and flew with a bunch of guys.
in Il2 I flew with a bunch of guys from all over the world. Being able to communicate in real time with the people you were flying with was awesome.
I have the full suite of devices; Rudder Pedals, Throttle and Stick.
Over the years, I flew as XL_Target, 54th_Target and finally TFC_Target.
I stopped about ten years ago.

Here is a video from one of the last inter squad matches that I played (IL2).

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
Played fighter ace from the beginning to the end and then on the European servers for awhile.

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I wasn't big on the PC games. I was into original Atari but not much after that. but I do remember the arcade game simulators. I did like going to the arcade at the mall whenever possible.

I worked at the local mall arcade, Diamond Jims, in the early 90's during college days. I would play After Burner and Final Lap (or it was a Pole Position) for hours. the After Burner was the sit in one with the moving seat and speakers like surround sound. loved that one. got pretty good back then. the Final Lap was a sit down two seater. one of the other young guys I worked with was into car racing games. so after hours we would sit and race each other for hours if we both closed that night. the mall would close and after we did our clean up and shut down we would sit at this race game for hours battling it out. great times. we would open up the coin doors and trip the counter switches several times to load up on credits. miss those times.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1310 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post