SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SF Motorcyclists - A question. Is the AMA worthwhile to join?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SF Motorcyclists - A question. Is the AMA worthwhile to join? Login/Join 
posted
In the mail today, I got an invite to join the American Motorcycle Assn. The packet was kinda NRA like, touting how wonderful they are, how they are looking out for bikers, etc.... Blah, blah, blah.
49 bucks a year to join. Eek But there is a monthly magazine.
Is anyone on SF an AMA member? If so, is it worth the 49 bucks?
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I only joined when the discount for my insurance was higher then the membership.

Posts: 859 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The magazine certainly isn't worth $49 a year. Not sure about the other benefits.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you race, membership is required. I would venture to guess that is where the huge majority of their membership/funds come from.

Posts: 128 | Location: somewhere in the lower great lakes | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was years ago when I was doing a bit of off road. Early 2000's they had some WLP type BS going on. I'd do some research before committing.

I remember calling them about it and they guy I talked to was like "yeah, we currently have some issues".
I didn't renew.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're into motorcycle racing on AMA sanctioned tracks, otherwise, save your money.

I was a member in the '80's.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I researched and agree it is over priced and focused mainly on racing events. I would be good for 20 bucks but not 49.

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Late to the party here but I vote in the NO column.

I can't think of anything that they have done for riders in the last half century. ABATE and other organizations have done more for education and rider advocacy, both off and on road riders.

I was a member in my short lived dirt racing days, 68-69 because to race in an AMA sanctioned event you had to have a number.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ABATE and other organizations have done more for education and rider advocacy, both off and on road riders.

This.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at their FaceBook page where they were "fighting" an anti noise ordinance in Utah.
Fail.

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I joined HOG a couple years ago, primarily for their roadside assist program. But if you go to the races sometimes there are courtesy tents where you can mooch some freebies.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The roadside assistance is far better and cheaper than aaa. It is the benefit of ama. I have used it once in eight years. aaa would have cost me 3x or more and their wrecker service is horrible. I know as I hall the police and we hate to wait on aaaat disabled vehicles.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I went with AAA and upgraded to the 100 mile tow and MC/RV coverage.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a life member of ABATE, they fight for motorcycle rights that are important to me.

Posts: 421 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AMA Roadside Assistance coverage is included with auto pay or paid 3 year membership. Covers autos, etc. under the same household.

Not sure if that is of any usefulness to you.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roadside assistance is covered by my insurance carrier, so thats not a factor in joining.