SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    DC Appellate Court strikes down toy drone registration
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DC Appellate Court strikes down toy drone registration Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
Registration is the first step toward confiscation!

Well, they'll get my drone when they pry it from my cold dead fingers. And I don't own one!

quote:
http://thehill.com

A D.C.-based appeals court struck down a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) rule on Friday requiring recreational drone users to register their model aircraft with the federal government, in a major win for drone hobbyists.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit sided with plaintiff John A. Taylor, a recreational drone pilot, who argued that the FAA doesn’t have the power to make him register his toy drones because Congress already said the FAA can’t regulate model aircraft.

“The FAA’s 2015 registration rule, which applies to model aircraft, directly violates that clear statutory prohibition,” the opinion said. “We therefore grant Taylor’s petition and vacate the registration rule to the extent it applies to model aircraft.”

< snip >

In December 2015, the FAA issued an interim rule requiring drone hobbyists to register their recreational aircraft with the agency.

The court called the registration process “quite extensive, as one would imagine for airplanes.”

The rule — which had not been formally finalized — requires model aircraft owners to provide their name, email address and physical address; pay a $5 registration fee; and display a unique drone ID number at all times. Those who fail to comply could face civil and criminal penalties.

< snip >

“Congress passed and President Obama signed the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012,” the ruling said. “Specifically, the ‘Special Rule for Model Aircraft’ [section] provides that the FAA ‘may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft.’”

Lawyers for the FAA argued that the registration rule is not a new requirement, but merely a “decision to cease its exercise of enforcement discretion,” which falls within its mission to improve aviation safety.

They also said that exempting some drones from the registration log would “create a gaping hole in FAA’s enforcement authority and threaten the safety of the national airspace system.”

But the appeals called those arguments “unpersuasive.” Razz

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
The regulation requires the pilot to register, not each drone. Each drone is supposed to be marked with the pilot's registration number.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
and I still agree that the FAA was over-reaching when it did that

I am pissed that every time there is a dot in the sky its a near miss from a drone

the FAA needed to focus on what it already has on its plate and not give in to mission creep

a good ruling on the part of the court

that which governs least governs best

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
When Obama's regulatory people got something in their sights, such trivia as following existing law - even Obama-era law - didn't trouble them much.

After all, who was going to stop them? The Keystone Kops Kongress or the activist bench?

ubi non accusator ibi non iudex

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
It's all fun and games until one of these remotely piloted aircraft fly into the engine of a passenger airliner on final.

Posts: 1723 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It's always been illegal to fly model aircraft near an airport.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34146 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
The drone control arguments aren't that different from the gun control arguments.

It's the pilot not the drone. that's my take.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10941 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
It falls back to don't be a dumbass with them.

That said, they were going to be regulated at some point unfortunately and I thought the FAA regs were fair especially not having to register each drone. This opens the door to biting the drone community in the rear (Canada)

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3608 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
The drone control arguments aren't that different from the gun control arguments.

It's the pilot not the drone. that's my take.

Indeed. It's a money and power grab hiding behind FUD and "reasonable restrictions".

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it had covered only drones, that would have been one thing but in the infinite wisdom of the FAA, they included anything that flies by radio control.

As one of the hundreds of thousands of R/C pilot hobbyists, I found this to be a cop out on the part of the FAA who is seemingly unable to digest the difference in those flying vehicles that are solely line of sight and operated purely for recreational purposes (airplanes, Helicopters).

I have been flying radio control for 35 years now without any incident with a full size aircraft nor have I seen or heard of such an incident.

The real problem the FAA is facing is that anyone can go and buy a ready to fly drone and fly it right away. Drones don't require any real proficiency to fly them.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a typical knee-jerk FAA reaction to a media induced hysteria that swarms of drones were standing ready to knock unsuspecting airliners from the sky at a frenzied pace. I understand the registering of commercial drones to regulate flying around/above people and property but there's no need for hobby drone or r/c aircraft registration.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post