SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I got hacked and email bombed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got hacked and email bombed Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
Last week, I got an email alert that someone tried to access my email account in Miami, FL. I live 200 miles away. Didn't really think much of it at the time, and just figured it for routine spam.

So I open my email today and see that I have about 1000 emails. This is fun. I normally get 20 emails a day. I see that every one of these emails is that I "subscribed" to an email list. These are email list from all over the world. And I am now subscribed to thousands of them. Apparently its a common email attack. And its fucking annoying. I seriously get about 10 emails per minute all day long.

I'm afraid that this email address that I have used for 20 years straight, is now beyond compromised and I will have to forget about it and use a new email address.

One of the emails was from Cabelas. For a $500 purchase. What? I login to my Cabelas account, and sure enough, some fuck stick has logged into my account (with my actual password, FUCK!) made an illegal purchase. They used my billing address, but the delivery address is to some apartment complex in south Florida. The last four on the credit card I don't recognize, but that credit cards is attached to my real address and zip code. Oh boy.

I call Cabelas and they cancel the charge and order before shipment and put a fraud hold on my account.

Now Ive been in damage mode for the past several hours. I am logging into every account I have and can remember and changing my passwords.

I may have to put a fraud hold on my credit so no new accounts can be opened. I'm looking into that now.

Anyone ever dealt with this shit? Any tips? Is my email address now permanently fucked?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Anyone ever dealt with this shit?

Several times. And once is one time too many.

Sorry you're going through this. But you have to go through it -- you can't just let this shit drop.

Good luck to you. You'll get past it, but you'll be angry and frustrated for a bit.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Use secure passwords. You will not be able to remember them. It's fine to write them down or use a password manager.

Many folks get caught since they use the same password everywhere. Even if it is a good password, if it is used at multiple sites, you can be compromised. Use different passwords for different sites. It's a PITA, but will save you in the future.

Use two-factor authentication for your email account (and other accounts too). If the service does not offer it, find another email service.

Sorry you have to deal with this.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yes, but try 30,000 emails a day. There was no recourse but to retire the email address.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16368 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
I login to my Cabelas account, and sure enough, some fuck stick has logged into my account (with my actual password, FUCK!) made an illegal purchase. They used my billing address, but the delivery address is to some apartment complex in south Florida. The last four on the credit card I don't recognize, but that credit cards is attached to my real address and zip code. Oh boy.

You may have much bigger problems than you think. At the very least I suspect a computer or other device you've used to log into Cabela's is compromised with a keylogger.

You may be an identity theft victim.

quote:
Now Ive been in damage mode for the past several hours. I am logging into every account I have and can remember and changing my passwords.

Hopefully not using the computer or other device you suspect is compromised?

quote:
I may have to put a fraud hold on my credit so no new accounts can be opened. I'm looking into that now.

You should, IMO. Immediately.

quote:
Anyone ever dealt with this shit? Any tips? Is my email address now permanently fucked?

My name, address, SSN, etc. has been stolen from the U.S. Government, Experian and a couple others, so I'm pretty much screwed. I have credit reporting locks on Experian, Equifax and TransUnion, and a security freeze on my consumer report at ChexSystems for good measure.

Make absolutely certain you record all information necessary to lift the freezes as necessary, and store it where it cannot possibly be lost and where you'll be able to find it again. (I've a neighbour failed to do that. Hoo boy!)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Post your opinion somewhere on-line and use your email address, and then the person(s) you pissed off will use your email address and subscribe and post to all manner of things, and the result will be a prolific amount of SPAM and what-all.

I get user's asking me to "make it stop", and my reply is, "life is tough, and sometimes it kicks you in the balls".

All you can do is move on.

And create a new alias similar to the old name.

And never use your "preferred" email for anything that risks it being used for such an exploit.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43908 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I have, but it’s been many years ago...probably close to 10?

I was actually on my email and saw it start to happen in real time

All of a sudden I start getting “thank you for buying” emails, and PayPal transaction notifications (this was before the bullshit anti gun PayPal stuff) and then all of a sudden the emails would disappear

Change and lock the PayPal password, but not before I had ordered over $6000 worth of iPads and had them sent to Huntington Neach, CA

Big problem....at the time my PayPal account was linked to my bank account

I talk Wachovia fraud, put a hold on it...but it won’t take effect for 24-36 hours

Talk to PayPal...the money will leave in 12-18 hours

Great....call Wachovia back...they tell me too bad, nothing we can do

Walked into my local Wachovia office and told them I wanted to close all my accounts...a lot of money

Gee, guess what, they actually could do something

I said great, and closed all the accounts anyway

Fuck them

Called the cops in my jurisdiction. They sent out a cop and took a report

Got a call the next day from a cop on CA. Talked to him

And that’s the last I heard about it

It was a shitty afternoon

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your problem.

Re: “Anyone ever dealt with this shit? Any tips?”

No I’ve never had such a problem. As for tips, I have three:

#1 – I’ve used a superb $20/yr email service, FastMail.com, since 2001.

#2 – I use a password manager app to generate long, strong passwords. A different PW for each of my many accounts.

#3 – I have a Mac, and run a MalwareBytes scan prior to every backup, to insure that each of my backups is clean. MalwareBytes has never issued any report other than “Congratulations, you are clean.”

My email address is almost as valuable to me as my SS#.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8978 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
You may have much bigger problems than you think. At the very least I suspect a computer or other device you've used to log into Cabela's is compromised with a keylogger.

You may be an identity theft victim.
This

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post