SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Source for info about US citizen purchasing Canadian real estate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for info about US citizen purchasing Canadian real estate Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Other than basic google type search. If there are any realtors on board with first hand knowledge that would be helpful.

I know Canadians buy US and Visa Versa all the time. So I know it is doable. Just wondering about any weird or unusual things that would be part of the purchase. We are not talking about a commercial venture. Just land that is able to be used/developed as a part time home/cabin type thing.

Email is in my profile. Welcome contact via email. Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I remember, if the property is owned by non Canadians, when it is sold Canada claims half of the value. Yes, really.

A business venture with a Canadian partner would be exempt from this, but not a cabin solely owned by an American.

LOTS of Canadians buy US property, but we get screwed when buying up there.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
From what I remember, if the property is owned by non Canadians, when it is sold Canada claims half of the value. Yes, really.

A business venture with a Canadian partner would be exempt from this, but not a cabin solely owned by an American.

LOTS of Canadians buy US property, but we get screwed when buying up there.

No.

Canada will withhold a percentage of the sale price if you don't fill out the proper forms first. 50% will be withheld on depreciable property and 25% on other property. By filling out the proper paperwork, Canada will withhold on the net capital gain instead.

Even if you didn't file the proper paperwork, you'd still get a refund when you file a Canadian tax return. Any sale of Canadian real estate owned by an American would require the American to file a Canadian tax return.

The American would also claim credit, on his US tax return, for Canadian taxes paid on the transaction.

My parents bought a lot on St. Joseph Island and it wasn't any different than buying one in the US.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update/clarification.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Bump

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post