SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    nicely done youtube of P51 Mustang
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

nicely done youtube of P51 Mustang Login/Join 
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted
Nicely done youtube of P51 Mustang. Something about that sound... crank it up!

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Just wow!!!

Thanks

tac

Posts: 11340 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, tks!

My uncle was an enlisted pilot in the Army Air Force during WWII, he ferried early variants of the P51 all over North and South America for shipment to Europe and N. Africa.

He was 20 years old, can you imagine!

Posts: 818 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine being a German troop and seeing this plane coming at you full throttle with .50 cals blazing!

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
My goose bumps got goose bumps-thanks!

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sound is pure heaven, thanks.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3548 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Great clip, TY.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2020 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Cool clip! Thanks!

I'd read somewhere that the super charger whine of the P51 used to scare the hell out of the Germans because they knew what was coming.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2672 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Cool clip! Thanks!

I'd read somewhere that the super charger whine of the P51 used to scare the hell out of the Germans because they knew what was coming.

It’s the sound of the air over the outside 50cal barrel shrouds, no?

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Cool clip! Thanks!

Probably this. It was the cause for the whine of a diving F4 U Corsair that terrified the Japanese in the pacific theater.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's rare to find a clean video like this without music or Mr. Yakkity Yak ruining it!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:

No.

tac

Posts: 11340 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of the time that I got buzzed by Chuck Yeager.Got to be a reenactor performing a battle on the airfield during an airshow in Southern Ohio years ago. Chuck Yeager was flying a P-51 and I had pictures where his plane was lower than the radio antenna on an M3 Stuart tank. He was low!

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
The Japanese called the F4U Corsair "whistling death". Good video of that effect here:

https://fightersweep.com/5378/...th-corsair-nickname/

Seems as though the P-51 did a bit of whistling too.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9011 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jay Leno has a Packard built Merlin on a test stand - he occasionally drags it outside and fires it up. Check it out on You Tube.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Great video. That sounds like gear whine from straight-cut gears to me. It could be either from the supercharger or the prop gear reduction, as both are using straight cut gears in the Merlin 1650 engine. It gets noticeably louder when under load and gets quieter as the load subsides in that video. Just like straight cut gears in typical race car drivetrain, or the straight cut gears used in automotive superchargers today.

You can hear the gear whine a bit in the Jay Leno Merlin video as the engine slows down from a running condition. I'm guessing while it's running the exhaust note is much too loud to hear the limited gear whine since there isn't any real load while on a test cart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYcKdK7hmEo

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
If that didn't give you wood, check your pulse.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Years back on a trip to Oshkosh with the partner in my cessna, there were more warbirds in one place than probably any other site in the world.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post