SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do any of the whole house humidifiers on a furnace last?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any of the whole house humidifiers on a furnace last? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Considering whether to add one when replacing the system. The old Generalaire humidifier clogged up. I’ve used a manually filled console humidifier for years.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have a Honeywell that uses replaceable pad things. There's nothing there to really clog except the pads as they collect minerals. Replace them once before the season starts and I'm good to go.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Tried them and found them useless.
Use a stand alone unit from Amazon.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Ours, from General Filter (?), has been working for 25 years or better.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
Steam is the way to go... We used the old humidifier system but could never get it where we wanted. We upgraded to steam and have been very happy! It doesn't use the old style pad - no mess! Its been running perfectly for 2 years now.

Steam Whole Home Humidifier

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3927 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An automatic Aprilaire bypass is what you want. Simple to clean and maintain.

They all can clog with bad (calcium) water. From the water solenoids, distribution troughs, pads, drain pans, drain tubing, etc.
Most people can get by with annual pad changes and cleanings.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

They all can clog with bad (calcium) water. From the water solenoids, distribution troughs, pads, drain pans, drain tubing, etc.

We have one like this. Wife and I were tired of electrocuting each other and the kids all winter. We got a manual one, you have to adjust the output to keep up with the temp. It takes the edge off but when it gets down to teens or lower outside I have to dial it back or I get all sorts of condensation on the windows.

Posts: 2522 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I bought and Installed Aprilaire 700m last fall. One of the best purchases ever made. First time ever having a whole house humidifier. Sure as hell beats filling the tanks twice a day and is way more effective. I can pet my kitties in the winter now with out shocking them.

I will never live somewhere without again.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1 !

Posts: 256 | Location: Stafford, VA | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Have had Aprilaire for over 10 years. Works great.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
Aprilaire running here since house was built around 1995. Replace the water filter once per year. Some other occasional low-cost maintenance (bad solenoid replaced once, some plastic tubing replaced a couple of times). Works great and makes a noticeable difference in the winter.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I have a number of guitars and amps in my house. My Aprilaire works well to keep them humidified in any room. Also reduces static. My last one lasted 25 years. Very low maintenance. I just shut it off in the summer.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Laugh if you must but I have a question. I've looked into installing one but was worried it would rust the ductwork. I know it's galvanized and I don't expect to live forever so are my concerns foolish?

Posts: 3461 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^ THIS ^^

And to add, spend the extra $35 to $50 for the automatic controller and insist the technician hooks up the external thermometer (this is what makes the automatic controller function properly and my technician tried to get out of the 15 minutes work). This makes it automatic and it’s always at the perfect humidity without condensation on windows. Condensation on windows can cause toxic mold as well as rot out window sills.

I had the Aprilaire bypass filter on a 2800 sq ft 2-story home in Alaska and the automatic controller always kept it perfect humidity without condensation on windows. I had it serviced annually (more than just a pad swap) plus did a pad swap halfway through the 9 month long winter. If a properly sized and maintained Aprilaire bypass humidifier can keep up in Alaska then a properly sized and maintained Aprilaire bypass humidifier can keep up wherever y’all live.

Contrast this to the Generalaire bypass humidifier with manual humidity control in Calgary, AB. It was a similar sized 2-story home to Alaska, but the manual adjustment was on furnace in the basement. In other words, I wasn’t going down there often to adjust setting. Additionally, I was a renter and the landlord wouldn’t spend money on having HVAC serviced so it was pad swapped only.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23296 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
Laugh if you must but I have a question. I've looked into installing one but was worried it would rust the ductwork. I know it's galvanized and I don't expect to live forever so are my concerns foolish?

I'd be more concerned with leaky, uninsulated duct condensating during air conditioning operation.

Yes, your concerns are INvalid.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Aprilaire 700 works for me. Maintenance IS required.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aprilaire steam model 800. Minimal maintenance, you just replace the canister which includes the electrodes. It works well in my house and never have issues maintaining optimal humidity. I've had mine for 5 years and it is still going strong as long you replace the canisters. I did have Pro installation as I am not good at that kind of stuff.

Replacement canisters are around $65 on Amazon. I'll buy a couple of them when I find a deal on them at times.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
So the Aprilaire is better than the Lennox Healthy Climate Power or Bypass Humidifier?

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
So the Aprilaire is better than the Lennox Healthy Climate Power or Bypass Humidifier?

They're just rebadged Aprilaire products.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Aprilaire on ours is at least 10 years old, probably closer to 15. Just change the media every now and then.

Hardest part is to remember to change the setting on mine during the summer/winter, since it needs so little maintenance - I forget sometimes...

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post