SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use electric yard equipment and how do you like it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use electric yard equipment and how do you like it? Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
So my lawnmower of 20 years now no longer self-propels and with my back issues pushing it is a serious strain. I also have to figure out a gas leak on my blower.

I see they now have cordless electric powered mowers, blowers, weed eaters, chainsaws, etc. I am curious if anyone uses them, what you think about them, and if a certain brand is best.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I have Kobalt equipment (80 volt) - mower, weed whip, blower, and snow blower and love it.

My yard is not big, and takes an average of 1 hour to mow, weed whip, and blow and I can mow 2 - 3 times on one charge for the mower and weed whip. The blower is what sucks up the most battery power, but having 4 total batteries helps alot.

If I could do it all over again, I would absolutely buy battery-powered equipment again. It's quiet, doesn't take long to charge, and does not make my garage smell like gasoline like my old gas powered equipment did.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an Ego self propelled mower, blower and weed eater this year. I wouldn't hesitate to buy more, gas mainly in storage, is a pain.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I have a Stihl battery powered electric chainsaw, string trimmer and hedger. They work very well. they each came with a battery and they all use the same form factor, which was why I bought the ones I did.

I also have larger Stihl gas powered chainsaw, trimmer and a gas powered blower.

My sister has Kobalt chainsaw, blower and edger...I have used them and they are solid.

other sister has Greenworks battery powered tools that I have used, but I like the Kobalt better.

Mower...Honda 160cc gas powered.

Storing gas is a pain, but I only use ethanol free which lasts longer.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Went to all Huskvarna 36 volt -Mower -Blower-Chainsaw-Edger-Hedge trimmer
Nice to have one battery that fits all.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Have a Stihl 19" non self propelled rotary lawnmower, and a Stihl small chainsaw. They both use the Stihl AK 30 series lithium ion batteries. Love them!
We have big powerful gas operated machinery also for the big jobs.
But for the small jobs, they are great.
Stihl also makes self propelled rotary lawnmowers that are battery operated, but we just do trimming with ours and don't need self propelled.
Plus it's real good exercise for teenage step daughters being non self propelled!
We also have a big Honda powered gas pressure washer.
Super quality unit, but after you get it out, fuel it, use it, then drain the gas tank and carburetor float bowl when done, it's a major operation to use it.
Yesterday we got a Stihl 120 volt plug-in pressure washer. Simple to setup, use and put away. For the smaller jobs, much easier to use.
Can't beat the 3 year residential usage warranty.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1537 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ego weed whacker working well. Not cheap. And not sure how long the battery will last. I use the whacker 4 hours a year. I hope the batteries last 10 years.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I went with the Ryobi 40V. The string trimmer came with (1) charger and (1) 4 Ah battery. I bought a 2nd 4 Ah battery off fleabay for much less than HD charges. I live on a corner lot with a side walk and curb so I have a metric shit ton of edging to do. It's 2 batteries to trim, edge, and blow off the clippings.

I have the brushless straight shaft string trimmer. One reason I chose Ryobi is this tool is actually the powerhead for many different attachments called expand-it. The other reason I chose it is the expand-it tool is less money than a stand-alone tool (stark contrast to Ego's expand it system). As far as attachments, I have the bladed edger and the tiller.

I have the brushless blower. Way more power than the attachment in the expand-it system.

I have the brushless hedge trimmer. I have a hedge row so it was an essential for me. I went with the stand-alone since the expand-it was restricted to puny branches (3/8" vs 1" diameter branches).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chainsaw, blower, hedge trimmers and weed eater for me. Bought a Stihl weed eater first on sale. Everything else is Ego because I was too cheap to buy Stihl. Both work great. No more mixing gas. No more pulling the cord 50 times to get the damned thing to start. Just press a button and go to work.

Posts: 149 | Location: Georgia | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went green on a ego trimmer and blower.
Happy with them. Use the same battery, so can charge 1 while using the other.

Always had stihl, but now no gas and mixing hassles.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I have a DeWalt weed eater that works great. Uses the same standard batteries my other DeWalt stuff uses. Never tried a mower or blower though.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Ego self propelled mower and smaller 650cfm blower. It’s good stuff so far! About 45 mins-1 hour of mow time on the 7.5a/hr battery.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my Ryobi brushless string trimmer and blower. Way, way more convenient than my older two stroke gas models, and just as capable. Plus I have a bunch of other Ryobi power tools that share batteries.

I still have a gas Honda mower, though. I have a large enough yard with thick enough grass that I don't see an electric mower being a good option in my situation. (Maybe an 80v model, but I haven't looked too much into those, and that would be an entirely new battery system.) But for smaller yards, a battery mower is definitely worth considering.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Ego mower, blower, edger, hedge trimmer and string trimmer. All good so far. My new yard is tiny, so I opted for the non- self-propelled. Harder to find, but I just don’t need it and I figured one less thing for potential issues.

From my research, Ego was the best. And so far nothing has altered that opinion.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I've been very happy with my Ryobi brushless string trimmer and blower. Way, way more convenient than my older two stroke gas models, and just as capable. Plus I have a bunch of other Ryobi power tools that share batteries.
Do you have their 18V system or 40V system? I'm guessing 18V.

My Dad has the 18V and seems happy.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
80v Cobalt system from Lowes. Mower/blower/trimmer.

Been very happy with it so far. 3 years now. The one big battery mows my entire yard. I have a smaller battery that I use for the trimmer/blower and as back-up if I forget to charge the big one.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Only a string trimmer. Ego brand. Had it for a couple of years and very happy with it.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
DR inertial log splitter, 120V plug in.
4/5th season coming up. So far most excellent.
Split 4-6 cords/season.

String trimmer Craftsman 20? no on 3rd season. Surprisingly excellent performance, much of 1+ acre edging on only 1 battery.

Oregon electric chain saw, despite excellent features, factory battery crapped out & wouldn't hold real charge after good care & very moderate use. Dealer wouldn't budge on $180 battery replacement charge. I gave it away & bought a Stihl EZ start 260.

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an 80v Kobalt mower on clearance in Fall 2020, 60% off. I was not convinced it would work wall but at the clearance price, I gave it a shot.

It works great on my think lawn.

Since then, I purchased a Ego string trimmer, then an edger, and my wife wanted a cordless blower this year so bought an Ego as well.

We are very happy with all so far.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I picked up a 18v Ryobi string trimmer, a low line model, it's working out ok. It's single whip, not dual, and for the upper half of a .9 acre yard is significantly easier than the much heavier gas models. I large batt pack from the previous gen will get thru it, but that's not always what is handy charged up. I usually have to switch out.

I'm keeping the gas models as so far the expense of moving to the larger batts is prohibitive. The equipment is about the same price, a battery - even a 18v - can add another $50 (I've been buying from Direct Tools in Branson when we visit.) Retail on batteries isn't cheap. I got into the Expandit type of multiple tool attachment with weed eater, chain saw, hedge trimmers etc and it's a good system swapping out with the downside of a heavy shaft set up. An Echo trimmer is notably lighter.

Self propelled is mandatory on my yard for me, it's a belt drive system and usually it's the belt that just needs replacing. The lot slopes back to front 8 feet in 50 just along side the house alone. Even when we used a cheap small Murray it was a workout. I can do the yard in about an hour and half mowing time - did it yesterday. Some parts in deep shade get it every other time in late summer.

I like the versatility of the 18v system and have quite a few tools in the Ryobi lineup because of it. Moving to a dedicated and expensive 40V+ for yard work won't show me any financial benefit when I already have gas tools that work it. Two things I do which I've learned over the years, 1) NO GASAHOL and 2) Winterize the engines - drain all the gas, fog the motors. They are rarely any hassle in the spring, and I keep a clean start up plug for the cranky ones just in case. It's time to swap the old one back into the mower.

Edit to add: in the time I've owned the one expandit weed whacker Ryobi has changed up three times - from Blue - I still have a working drill driver - to the Yellow/Green lithium line and now another upgrade to brushless with higher power lithium. And my favorite drill driver? A Powertorque 12V. The larger batteries have gone too big for small jobs. For the money, I even avoid batt powered tools now, the last few were corded. Jig saw, trim router, planer, and a pnuematic trim nailer. I run it off a tire tank with regulator. Any of those four ran less than $40 and certainly cheaper than their battery counterparts, easy to handle and ya know, a cord isn't all that big a problem inside a wired home. It's when you are more than 75 feet away outside it gets to be an issue. Still have my corded circle saw - over 30 years old - a thin kerf finish carbide blade makes it better than new.

A $499 Christmas special tool offer can be half or less in corded and I think the battery stuff is a lot more bragging rights for the amount of real work a homeowner actually does with them. Im not saying an electric corded weed trimmer or mower is better, nope, but gas and corded tools still have a place. Starting over new I'd go Milwaukee 12v - and make careful decisions.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post