SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Buddy Caught A Lineman Being Rescued From A Fire
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buddy Caught A Lineman Being Rescued From A Fire Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted
All of us live in the world that we do because others risk their lives to provide for us.

They are installing new power lines in front of one of my friend's homes, and he was out there watching them with his son when a fire erupted. It's unclear if it was a transformer or the bucket truck itself, but a lineman was trapped up in the air in the fire. He was saved with minor injuries due to the quick thinking and action of one of his coworkers who was operating a second boom.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Nice catch! Hope everyone is OK.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. It hits a little close to home for me because my father was a lineman for 43 years.
Over the years he was involved in rescuing a few co workers.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2573 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I am curious to know why the lift became inoperable at the same time as the fire. The controls in the basket can be overridden and be controlled from the base of the boom pedestal. I am glad he is okay.

Posts: 3231 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a guess, but at the beginning of the video, there are a couple of items dropped from the pole. It looks like a restringing operation because of the scab arms and rollers at the top of the pole. Looking closely, it looks like a temporary arm is attached to the pole on the far side. It would also make sense that a scab arm was also attached to the bucket side. The phases are obviously energized as they are in guts. It appears that the phases on the bucket side contacted the what looks like a transformer or some other type of apparatus and possibly cross-phased and caused some sort of transformer fire. Working the controls from the base is possible, assuming the helpers or journeymen are not trying to avoid the falling burning material or running for cover as the next hazard would be falling conductor.
Just my 2 cents.
Lineman

https://winred.com/ <<--Support the cause.

Posts: 171 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: July 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
No panic. Good work by him and the crew. The flunkies on the ground weren't much help. Run! They were probably county Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post