SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Freediver makes his way 130ft down the world’s deepest indoor pool
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freediver makes his way 130ft down the world’s deepest indoor pool Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
I know we have a number of divers on the board, this is pretty amazing!

My question though, is how the hell does he get back to the surface?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-s-deepest-pool.html

This is the moment a freediver, who took just one breath before he hit the waters, reaches the bottom of world's deepest pool.

Guillaume Nery can be seen sinking at a rapid speed until he makes it to the bottom of the 130ft deep Y-40 Deep Joy pool, after around two minutes of plummeting.

The record breaking diver had to empty his lungs to be less buoyant and sink more freely.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12351 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.
I'm interested in how he ascends. If he emptied his lungs to down does that mean he has to swim/climb to get back up? Is he getting air from his support diver? Hmm. does he climb 140 feet on empty lungs?

Posts: 4592 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to do some cycle-breathing diving, and could stay down for about 90 seconds, but this one baffles me. He's essentially figured a way to stay conscious for some four minutes after expelling air.

That pool is neat as all hell, though! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
...Is he getting air from his support diver?

In my (limited) experience, a free-diving record would not allow taking air at the bottom for the ascent. You have to go both ways on the same breath.

And for anybody who doesn't know, inhaling at depth and ascending without exhaling during the ascent will result in ruptured lungs, due to the air expansion. Fifteen feet below the surface is 1/2 atmosphere increase in pressure, IIRC, more than enough to rupture your lungs.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Impressive!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I am now taking deep breaths!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24186 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's nothing, they have a free diving competition in Long Island, Bahamas. They cannot get air at the bottom. The record was set in 2007 with free diving to a depth of 410' by William Trubridge!!!!!!!!

https://www.bahamas.com/island...ail/dive-long-island

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My head, eyes and ears hurt going down like 13 feet, I can't imagine the pressure at 130! Eek

Posts: 33895 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
Wow.
I'm interested in how he ascends. If he emptied his lungs to down does that mean he has to swim/climb to get back up? Is he getting air from his support diver? Hmm. does he climb 140 feet on empty lungs?

My best was 4 minutes on full lungs (going laterally, not down for reasons cited above). 4 minutes on mostly emptied lungs is impressive.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5648 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once below about 30-50 feet he will sink relatively rapidly.

If he is using fins, coming back up is not that hard provided he has been training. I would think 60-90 seconds going down, and 90+ coming back up. When I was free diving a lot, I had a two minute bottom time without pushing it. And as mentioned above, going mostly laterally is much easier than going down.

People who hyperventilate can do some amazing feats, but every year some of them push it too much, then black out and die.

-c1steve

Posts: 4065 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I remember swimming at The Olympic Pool in Montreal and it has a scuba tower and I would watch divers doing deep dive practice where they would go down 10m or 20m and would sit on a small ledge and read a book

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it does say he has done 126 meters. 130 feet is nothing for him.

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He's at 1/3rd of his maximum depth.
He'll swim up using breast stroke.
If he had fins he'd use those.

People can dive FAR deeper than earlier believed.
Pressure compresses the lungs so far and then plasma shifts into lungs.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Some of the records I've seen set are done with weights to get you down quickly and then airbags that inflate to take the diver to the surface.

No idea how this guy got back up but this wasn't near his max depth.

To me, freediving is with fins and swimming on you own.

In my younger days, I could swim 100 yards underwater in a pool.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The USN had a 100 foot deep pool in Groton Conn that looked like that. I did a free ascent in Sub school. They had doors on the side of the water column. I feel old it was razed 1982.

"During the half-century the old tower operated, thousands of submariners got a feel for what it might be like to do a shallow-water exit from a disabled submarine by rising through 127 feet of water."

http://www.diodon349.com/Stori..._again_in_Groton.htm

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13410 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...1oemlFG4_VJTF2xYuIXo

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38727 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
This guy can hold his breathe for 22 minutes?? How does the brain handle that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO14skFnBew

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was just about to post this video. I highly suggest people click the link and read the video description. What this man has had to endure is incredible.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
My best was 4 minutes on full lungs (going laterally, not down for reasons cited above).

If you mean the ruptured lung thing, don’t worry - that’s not how it works. If you take a breath at the surface, you can dive as deep as you can and hold that breath because the air in your lungs is pressurized at 1 atmosphere. The problem is taking a breath at depth, where air is compressed at the rate of 1 atmosphere for every 10 meters or so.

If you dive with your surface breath, the air will compress as you go, but obviously won’t decompress beyond its original volume on your ascent, so no ruptured lungs.

Make sense?

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
A forum member posted this when it first came out. It was noted he didn't do it on a single take, but still pretty damn impressive. And the song is hypnotic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC-IRlsyqkg

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post