SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Christmas Present - Telescope Recommendations ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Present - Telescope Recommendations ? Login/Join 
posted
Figured I turn to the Forum for info on a Christmas present.

I'd like to get a beginners Telescope that is good for seeing common stars and planets. Not planning on new discoveries or making it a career.

Briefly considered this one: Telescope

This is for a family to enjoy.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

This message has been edited. Last edited by: El Cid 92,

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Your subject is vague. I assumed, seeing it, it was about an early Christmas present of a telescope.

If you're seeking input on selection, perhaps change it to a question: At least "Christmas Present - Telescope?" Better, IMO, would be something like: "Suggestions For Telescope For Christmas Present?"

Think of it this way: If you were asking somebody's opinion IRL, would you walk up to them and say "Christmas Present: Telescope," with no question inflection and expect them to understand it as a question?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Looks decent. I'd say anything smaller for a first one is better (less storage space and easier to transport if clubs are local) and anything that has something to help find objects is great.

The common problem is getting one that is huge, trying to use it a couple times, finding a couple easy things but getting frustrated trying to find anything else which leaves it stored in a corner for a few years.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I like more aperture and less gizmos, like computer assistance. Finding targets on your own (w/ a proper chart) is part of the experience.

This one is bigger (but not hard to move) and cheaper and has better eye pieces.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...pa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

ETA: I see they no longer come w/ two eye pieces, but another plossl eyepiece would even the price comparison.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
If you think you are going to use it to look only at celestial and not terrestrial objects I'd go for the biggest aperture you can afford.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...p_detail_aax_0?psc=1
8" is really a minimum if you want to try seeing nebulas and galaxies, and not just planets, the moon, and star clusters.

eyepieces are really critical. When I was serious I'd say I probably spent 2x the money on eyepieces than I did on telescopes.

What ages are the users going be and how dark is your observing site? You really won't be able to see much other than moon/planets if you are in an urban/suburban area with a lot of light pollution.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
Remember, the images you see will probably be black/white grayscale. The images shown in advertisements are usually layered etc via editing. Just do not want you thinking the perfect images online popping with color are what you will see with a beginner scope.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a Celestron C-90 for 35+ years, use it for a spotting scope. If the light is decent you can easily spot 223 holes at 200 yards, 30 cal holes at 300. Make sure you get a really stable tripod; if it shakes any at all in the breeze, it gets blurry at high magnification.

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
This one is bigger (but not hard to move) and cheaper and has better eye pieces.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...pa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

I have this exact Orion 6" Dobsonian. It is great, and being able to find things on your own is part of the wonder and satisfaction that comes with it.
It breaks down into two parts (tube & base) and can fit in a car easily.
Highly recommended.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
If you think you are going to use it to look only at celestial and not terrestrial objects I'd go for the biggest aperture you can afford.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001...p_detail_aax_0?psc=1
8" is really a minimum if you want to try seeing nebulas and galaxies, and not just planets, the moon, and star clusters.

eyepieces are really critical. When I was serious I'd say I probably spent 2x the money on eyepieces than I did on telescopes.

What ages are the users going be and how dark is your observing site? You really won't be able to see much other than moon/planets if you are in an urban/suburban area with a lot of light pollution.

8 and 12yo nephews, plus parents. The kids are very enthusiastic about science and exploring the nite sky. They are frequently outside at nite with the skymap app on the iPhone. The father is science inclined but doesn't have much experience with optics.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
It looks good to me for the price and what you're getting. Since that is a reflector, you are getting more bang for the buck over a refractor, and the go to drive can speed up finding DSOs.

Just FYI, MOST people who get scopes will hide them in the garage in a short time.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1178 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
That'll work, but I absolutely recommend at a minimum of a 6" mirror.

I also prefer the more robust covered aperture.

I've had mine many, many years (30+) and pull it out every now and then when the air is cold and everything is in range.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34124 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He is gone now, but Robert Bruce Thompson had some good (albeit possibly dated) info on many aspects of astronomy, including telescopes. His site is up for now.
https://www.ttgnet.com/astronomy/astronomy.html

He also wrote two excellent books about astronomy and exploring the night sky.
Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer
and
Astronomy Hacks: Tips and Tools for Observing the Night Sk

Posts: 523 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onegeek:
He is gone now, but Robert Bruce Thompson had some good (albeit possibly dated) info on many aspects of astronomy, including telescopes. His site is up for now.
https://www.ttgnet.com/astronomy/astronomy.html

He also wrote two excellent books about astronomy and exploring the night sky.
Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders: From Novice to Master Observer
and
Astronomy Hacks: Tips and Tools for Observing the Night Sk

That is a fantastic site.
Thank you for sharing it!

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Looking at planets and looking at stars is very different - telescope wise.

Get a beginner astronomy book. This is a topic that can't really be handled in a thread like this. It is a big subject.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post