SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any good adjustable dumbbells besides Bowflex?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any good adjustable dumbbells besides Bowflex? Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
Been trying to get a set of Bowflex adjustable dumbbells for months now, but they are nowhere to be found. Out of stock everywhere with no end in sight. Has anyone found a quality alternative?

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot speak to an alternative, but the Bowflex are worth the trouble/money.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 544 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I just took a quick look. Plenty of them on eBay.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
Go with a company called Ironmasters. I have been using them for years and have had zero issues. If you do circuit training adjustable dumbbells are the way to go. Can take time to adjust the weights. I don't use them for that and they are great. Great customer service.

https://www.ironmaster.com/

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 465 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I've had Powerblock for over 10 years and they've held up very well. The new ones have a slightly different look, but the same basic design/principle:

https://powerblock.com

PS> I think these guys were the first adjustable dumbbells ever made.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bonfire:
Go with a company called Ironmasters. I have been using them for years and have had zero issues. If you do circuit training adjustable dumbbells are the way to go. Can take time to adjust the weights. I don't use them for that and they are great. Great customer service.

https://www.ironmaster.com/

Ironmasters are hands down the best adjustable dumbbells out there. You will not find anything better. When outfitting the gym on my ship I ordered a set after lots of research.

They are extremely difficult to get at the moment though. I think you have to get on a lottery just to have the opportunity to buy them. And they are now way more expensive than when I ordered them for my ship over a year ago.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
I've had Powerblock for over 10 years and they've held up very well. The new ones have a slightly different look, but the same basic design/principle:

I agree.
I have the 90# with the stand, curl bar, straight bar, and kettlebell.
Loaned to my son for Covid so he could work out with the gym closures and restrictions.

Hope to get them back eventually.

But they currently impossible to find for purchase..

Posts: 4415 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

Agree 100%. I also have the 90lbs with the stand. I’m starting to see them show up on Facebook Marketplace, so keep your eyes peeled because they sell quickly.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I like the Bowflex adjustables, but wish they went a little higher in weight. I got a pair of them at Goodwill several years ago for $70 and thought that was expensive; what they are going for on eBay is truly appalling. In fact, what ALL free weights are going for is nothing les than dumbfounding.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
So we used to use handles from ironmind.com, and their bulldog collars.

TMK, most strength athletes are using something made by them.

Posts: 5930 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a pair of 10-50lbs Bayou Fitness dumbbells for about 5 years. All metal, easy to adjust and they’ve never given me any trouble.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2696 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Looks like most alternatives are basically impossible to get.

NordicTrack seems to have them - they say shipping date is 11/25 - but they only go to 55 pounds. Not ideal.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the Powerblock system for at least 15 years—a solid choice for an adjustable dumbbell set!

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used Powerblock for over a decade. No problems to report.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
Powerblocks have been my home gym staple.

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post