SIGforum
Where are the blue jays (the bird)?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/3910093044

April 12, 2018, 10:40 AM
ggile
Today as I was filling my bird feeders I got to thinking about the fact that I haven't seen a blue jay since last fall. These birds usually stick around through the winter and were constant visitors to my bird feeders, but now they have become conspicuous by their absence.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin
April 12, 2018, 10:43 AM
OneWheelDrive
Since the west nile virus went through our area, we've had very few, but see them on occasion.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."
April 12, 2018, 10:48 AM
bendable
we have a half dozen of them here, in fact I filled their feeder
https://www.duncraft.com/Wreat...suq8qbYaAsDaEALw_wcB

two days ago,

its a great feeder but 6 Jays will empty it in 5 hours. and peanuts can be on the pricy side.

its kinda fun to hang it in the middle of a 90 foot wire and watch the squirrels , flip , flop and scurry , upside down to get to the peanuts

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
April 12, 2018, 11:00 AM
BurtonRW
Still here in Maryland.

We have one hanging out near our feeders and grabbing whatever the finches drop from the ground, mostly.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A
April 12, 2018, 12:13 PM
Texas Bob C.
I have them here in north Texas. Usually two or three at a time.
April 12, 2018, 12:39 PM
Sunset_Va
Hardly any in my area, south central Virginia.

Did not see any at my feeders all winter.

美しい犬
April 12, 2018, 01:05 PM
cazio
I get 6 or 7 hitting my squirrel feeder for peanuts and oiled sunflower seeds. It's funny when the woodpecker comes and the jays scatter.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.
April 12, 2018, 01:07 PM
CQB60
None here in Carolina this year. More Cardinals however, than the Vatican Wink

April 12, 2018, 01:15 PM
architect
The Jays and the Crows seem to be coming back in the DC area after West Nile almost wiped out populations a few years ago. I noticed the impact on the crows more than the jays, but that's because there are so many more of them.
April 12, 2018, 01:23 PM
doublesharp
Seeing several in Louisville area.

April 12, 2018, 01:29 PM
cworetired
Have 3 coming to my feeders every day or so
April 12, 2018, 03:36 PM
cyberiad
My wife maintains a feeder and we've seen one or two blue jays here in central-eastern NC. What we haven't seen for a number of years until this year were mourning doves. There used to be quite a few around and then they disappeared, like all the insects. I can count on one had the number of bees I've seen in the last two years and we have quite a few flowers around. A couple of mourning doves are back but the insects are not.
April 12, 2018, 03:38 PM
YooperSigs
I have two. They have a long running dispute with my cat. None of them will comment on it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
April 12, 2018, 03:40 PM
Bisleyblackhawk
They are here (more than in past years) in a battle with the Brown Thrashers (more than in the past years)...who battle with the Mocking Birds (my money is on the Mocking Birds...if they were the size of hawks, we would have to kill them all for mankind to survive Big Grin)...I have reached an agreement with the Mocking Birds, I no longer approach the tree they nest in...they no longer flog me Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
April 12, 2018, 03:57 PM
ChuckWall
Blue Jay #11

We have plenty in Iowa.

MAGA
April 12, 2018, 04:07 PM
dsiets
I've got a red-wing black bird in my feeder as I type, but get the occasional Jay waiting his turn.
April 12, 2018, 06:34 PM
bendable
chuckwall, if that is a bird picture that you took , you need to post additional bird pic's over in the gallery section , Please

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
April 12, 2018, 06:41 PM
Bisleyblackhawk
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
chuckwall, if that is a bird picture that you took , you need to post additional bird pic's over in the gallery section , Please

Amen!

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
April 12, 2018, 08:31 PM
FRANKT
quote:

Go squirrel hunting. The rude, noisy little bastards will find you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan