SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Future son-in-law needs first real job...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Future son-in-law needs first real job... Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
And, he is caught in the gap between being certified to weld pipes to some extraordinary level and not having experience. He's applied to hundreds of jobs and had no success. You can feel the pain all the way over here in Richmond from Newport News. If you'uns have any ideas on a job for him in the NN area, please let me know. If you have any ideas on how to get a job (networking methods, etc.) let me know.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5218 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Newport News the obvious first place to look would be:
General Dynamics Electric Boat

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5294 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Passing these along. The only ones I saw there were in Rhode Island.

-------

Posts: 5218 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
American Commercial Bargelines is in my area and they are always hiring welders but he'd have to move to s Indiana or Louisville area.

Posts: 4829 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
He is going to have to suck it up on the low and take an apprenticeship you don't get a good job with welding just coming out of school

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shipyard with apprentiship program

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Cant help with the job part but he could consider working for free after hours and weekends to gain experience. Its not glamorous but it turns 2.5 years into 5 years experience pretty darn quick. I am doing the same actually.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8239 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He should try and get certified. Not sure if he is, but most places doing commercial or military work would need a certified welder.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
He is certified. I forget the designation but it was a challenge.

-------

posted Hide Post
I can relate to your son in law. I too went to a well known welding school and got certified in all kinds of fancy stuff including pipe.
Nobody cared.. he needs to suck it up and take a shit welding job for a while and get experience.
Being a vet has helped me but still experience is everything to most shops. What's sad is that I've lost a lot of my skills because I've spent he last 5 years at these entry level welding gigs getting experience..
He will probably make around 15 an hour unless he takes a job nobody wants

Posts: 3392 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Age? No interest in the National Guard or Reseves while he works the welding angle?

Maybe not for everyone I realize.

The other advice is to cast a wider net. He can always come back after getting more work experience and networking.

I've not had a gap in employment since I started at 14. I have worked around the country though.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
He would take any welding job. In driving distance. Finding that job is not happening using monster indeed and other sites. How else could he find opportunities? What places should he look?

-------

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Somewhere in the Newport News, Norfolk, Hampton area there must be a number of places that do metal fabrication.
Welding requires technical knowledge, which it sounds like he has, but hands on experience and lots of practice are a must.

Posts: 9834 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Welding of pipes you say...that's what my company does. We are a mechanical contractor (industrial and commercial).

Is he looking to join a union? We do work in West Virginia, but not Virginia and we're a union shop. I'm not sure what the market is there (union vs non-union).

Depending on what kind of pipe he wants to weld would tell me what kind of contractor he needs to apply to. Sticking plates together is one thing, piping systems is another. Since you said pipe, I'm assuming a mechanical contractor.

Most large contractors have a weld guru/QA-QC manager/CWE (certified weld inspector). I'd call HR of big boys and find out who that person is. Then try to get in touch with that person and come in to their shop to provide some coupons (he'll know what a coupon is).

They can x-ray his coupons and do destructive testing on them. If he can weld exotics, he'll a job in a heart beat. If his coupons are porous, he'll need to go back to the drawing board.

Hell, if he can weld, he can come up and join our union and I'll put him to work tomorrow.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Passing these along. The only ones I saw there were in Rhode Island.

Sounds right. EB in RI is desperate for welders and they have enough submarine contracts to last a welder's entire career.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I know of a metal fab shop that just had a welder quit. Completely awesome company to work for, they really take care of their employees and they work four 10's, so it's three day weekends every week.

Can't make any promises, but I can get his resume in front of the manager. Shop is located near Dulles airport.

EDIT - Position already filled.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post