SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gunman in parking space shooting not charged because of 'Stand Your Ground' law
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunman in parking space shooting not charged because of 'Stand Your Ground' law Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
This case ended up where most of us thought it should.
Yeah, the shooter gave into hurt pride and ego.

If the assaulter hadn't stepped back and turned away, it would have likely been justified.

The shooters previous interactions / drama surely didn't help him.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
You push me down, I can't get up without really putting myself in a dangerous position. Your not backing off ...I'll shoot you....
Except he backed off, was turned at least 90+ degrees away.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Can disparity of force be a factor in shooting someone who has overpowered you?
Definitely!
Had I been on the jury in this case a lot of my decision would have been based on the fact the defendant instigated this event, then escalated it.
Why?
Because I see people parking in handicapped spots from time to time but have never felt compelled to confront the illegal drivers. Since I dont confront them, I dont get my ass kicked and then have to shoot someone.

Exactly right.
Nobody likes clowns who take a parking spot from the handicapped but confrontations are to be avoided like a bad disease. You start it, you own it.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
It will be interesting to see how much prison time the defendant gets in this case. I will tell you in the liberal dimocrap progressive haven of St. Louis City, DA Kim Gardner gave a guy a plea deal in a case where defendant got in a fight near Ballpark Village, went and got his gun (known gang member), returned to the scene, re instigated the confrontation and during that time shoot his gun, hitting and killing a completely innocent bystander who was nearby. Want to guess what he got form the plea deal: 4 years with a 1 year credit served. So shitstain killer has to do 3 more years for killing someone. Ahh, progressive justice! Mad

Manslaughter is a second degree felony in Florida. The max sentence is 15 years

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Trying to play cop was what caused all this and he did it while carrying a gun.
The gun is probably what gave this guy the balls to confront strangers, so it reinforces "don't go anywhere with a gun that you wouldn't go without".
In his defense, the video from the side makes it easier to armchair quarterback as it's easy to see their relative positions. In reality he was looking straight at him from ground level and depth perception was what he had to rely on. That was after he had just had a very violent shove onto the concrete that he didn't see coming.
He topped it off by making statements to the police way beyond the minimum needed at the time and without the advice of an attorney.
Based on Andrew Branca's assessment, this guy will get some sort of gun enhancement to his sentence and will likely spend most of his remaining life behind bars.
Pretty well covered here;
https://legalinsurrection.com/...lty-of-manslaughter/

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
IMO he got what he had coming. This whole incident was stupid on steroids and completely avoidable and paints gun owners like us as a problem instead of part of the solution.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, for those who have any doubt, watch the video. He shot the victim when the victim was turning away. After he got pushed down, the victim did not approach him. Instead, as soon as the shooter produced his pistol, the victim turned away, and that's when Wyatt Earp administered his twisted form of justice.

Hell, the shooter instigated the confrontation and admitted that he had a habit of doing this very thing. He asked for his fate, and he got it.

Posts: 107611 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
We park way out in parking lots. Get some exercise, avoid door dings and this kind of crap.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Are prison cells ADA compliant?

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
We park way out in parking lots. Get some exercise, avoid door dings and this kind of crap.
EXACTLY!! Put steps on that Fitbit!!! Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post