SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Submit your chicken fried steak recipe here, I need one today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Submit your chicken fried steak recipe here, I need one today Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted
So I was digging though my supply of grass fed and finished beef deciding what to make this weekend. I was about to pull out some ribeyes when I found some packs of cutlets. I have not had chicken fried steak and mashed tators in a while so I decided I will make that today. I pulled them out yesterday and tenderized some more and I’m soaking them in buttermilk this morning.

There are tons of recipes online and I can grab one of those for the CFS but I thought I would see if the Sigforum cooks have any good recipes they have vetted. So if you have a favorite let me know. I already have my mashed tator recipe down the way I like it but I lost my CFS recipe.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CFS is one of the easiest and best tasting things to make. Your already half way done letting them sit in the buttermilk. Now all you have to do is season some flour however you like. My base is flour, then some corn starch (helps crisp things up more), kosher salt, fresh ground pepper. From there you can add anything that you think sounds good. I tend to add some chili powder or cayenne to the mix. Garlic powder is a crowd pleaser as well. Give it some pop.

Then beat 3 eggs or so in a seperate bowl so all of your diping stations are done. Heat oil to 350 degrees.

Take cutlet from the buttermik and dip in the flour.
Remove from flour and shake excess flour off.
Dip in egg and remove, let excess egg drain back into container.
Dip in flour again for final coat, make sure well covered. Then shake off excess flour and put in oil to fry.

I tend to use a lot of oil to almost deep fry it so gets extra crispy in my opinion. But you can also use just enough to come up about half of the thickness of the battered steak.

All of this is best if done in a well seasoned cast iron skillet, but not required of course. Fry to golden brown flipping only as needed, to keep from messing with the crust.

Just watch your oil temp. To keep from burning. 325-350 seems to be the sweet spot, any higher and your asking for trouble. Once your oil hits that turn down the burner to help maintain. keep a thermometer handy to check oil temp during the frying.

Then, it's gravy time!

Sorry about all the spelling mistakes. Typing on phone mixed with spell check, does its best to make me look like an idiot.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^

Sounds 'bout right to me. Don't forget the gravy!!!

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
If I could disagree slightly with my fellow Texans for a moment. I prefer to use fine cracker crumbs instead of flour.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mmmm! I’ll change up between cutlets or a sirloin steaks. First time I had a chicken fried, I knew it would be a lifelong love affair.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple recipe, all are about the same with some variation in the dredge mix. I've played around with adding various items like powdered mustard, thyme, high-end black pepper, smoked paprika.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Can it be done with normal milk? I hate buttermilk.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

flashguy

Buttermilk is supposed to help tenderize but if your just using it to wet the meat I’m not sure why regular milk wouldn’t work.

Posts: 4116 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Mmmm! I’ll change up between cutlets or a sirloin steaks. First time I had a chicken fried, I knew it would be a lifelong love affair.

Try it with a ribeye, it is pretty damn tasty. You will want to trim some of the fat out, and then pound/tenderize it flat. Then proceed as above. That is some good eating.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1113 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

flashguy

Sure, my mom would use milk on occasion. Grandmother on the other hand, not allowed.

Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t believe the guy in the video is a southerner. Ain’t no way a southerner is using the metric system unless we’re buying soda for a cookout or calling in artillery corrections.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig226fan:
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:

Try it with a ribeye, it is pretty damn tasty. You will want to trim some of the fat out, and then pound/tenderize it flat. Then proceed as above. That is some good eating.

That sounds even better.

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's the acid in the buttermilk that helps break down and tenderize the meat. You won't taste the buttermilk. Save any extra for buttermilk waffles. Big Grin

Posts: 9049 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
I don’t believe the guy in the video is a southerner. Ain’t no way a southerner is using the metric system unless we’re buying soda for a cookout or calling in artillery corrections.

If you work in the food industry, especially upscale restaurants, like this guy, you're using the metric system.

Other fields in the US that use metric
Bakers
Beverage (alcohol, soft drinks, juice, etc..)
Pharmaceutical
Medical

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried to cook it in an air-fryer?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:

It's the acid in the buttermilk that helps break down and tenderize the meat. You won't taste the buttermilk. Save any extra for buttermilk waffles. Big Grin
I will taste the buttermilk. I am particularly sensitive to the taste of the chemicals produced when milk is spoiled (cheese, yogurt, buttermilk, sour cream, even cream cheese). I can taste cream cheese in a chocolate frosting.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Something I’ve never even considered making at home, but now I’m super hungry.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12424 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
How did it turn out?

BTW I've had the pleasure of having this particular chicken fried steak more times than I can count.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I always wondered. How do you teach a chicken how to fry a steak?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37977 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post