SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you rebuild an electric range ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you rebuild an electric range ? Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
So can you rebuild an electric range ?

My electric range is old, 40 inch wide, and that size is not made any longer. I thought if I rewired it, cleaned it up, and maybe had the stainless top blasted and/or resurfaced, depending on the level of effort and expense, it could allow me to avoid a 4 inch gap between a new 36 inch wide stove and the existing kitchen cabinetry.

I'd like a new 36 inch stove, but that would mean calling a custom cabinetmaker to replicate the existing pattern, and trying to match the existing black marble counter top etc.

So is this really a thing people or any appliance service businesses even do ?

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
40 inch ranges are available but they are pricey . 4k and up . What would you spend on having your old one rebuilt ?

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Could you put stainless on either side and back and filler panel in front of cabinets? Just spitballin'

That sounds like an expensive project to refurb, with still relying on availability of some older model pieces that may fail?

"and up" being the key words. One search for 40" models blistered my eyes ($ $) but damn there are some realllllly nice ones that pop up!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12430 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can answer part of your question. Yes you can rebuild them at least electrically. The parts are easy to find (mostly) and easy to install if you have modest electrical skills. I'd wonder if you could find someone who could do it for you though. I've done my 1956 one twice now and we are headed for a third. That vote covers the mechanical/electrical parts. I have no experience on the aesthetic part. I would guess it would be pretty easy to find someone to bead blast stainless parts. But if you aren't doing most of it yourself I would guess the economics will be miserable. A filler panel I would guess wouldn't be to hard to make look nice.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
40 inch ranges are available but they are pricey . 4k and up . What would you spend on having your old one rebuilt ?

Are you referring to 40 inch wide commercial/restaurant gas ranges ? there is no gas in my area, so it has to be an electric range. I have found no-one selling new 40 inch electric ranges, my local appliance business tells me that electric range/ovens are no longer made in 40 inch.

Do you have a link ?

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
if you are doing electric you defiantly want induction is looks nice
https://www.ilveusa.com/range.html?sku=UMDI10NS3SSC

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rebuilding is expensive, but not impossible depending on the make and model and age.

Lots of the older stoves are hard to get parts for and lots of repair shops will not touch them due to liability.

I have kept lots of electric stoves running with generic repair parts.

The only 40" electric stove I know if is 10K
Frigidaire made a less expensive one but I think it is discontinued.

An easier fix is to get a 36" and use back filler plates cut down to fill in the sides.

The matching filler plates are usually 3" and you will need 2 2" fillers.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you do an open slide-in narrow open sheet pan storage “cabinet” next to the stove with maybe some decorative tile on top that goes with the counter top?

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
Could you do an open slide-in narrow open sheet pan storage “cabinet” next to the stove with maybe some decorative tile on top that goes with the counter top?

Wow, that is creative, practical, and not too bad looking for an old fashioned house like mine. Thanks Melissa. Very cool.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Rebuilding is expensive, but not impossible depending on the make and model and age.

Lots of the older stoves are hard to get parts for and lots of repair shops will not touch them due to liability.

I have kept lots of electric stoves running with generic repair parts.

The only 40" electric stove I know if is 10K
Frigidaire made a less expensive one but I think it is discontinued.

An easier fix is to get a 36" and use back filler plates cut down to fill in the sides.

The matching filler plates are usually 3" and you will need 2 2" fillers.

Wow, I didn't know those were a thing. Excellent. I could take them to a local cabinetmaker to cut them down for me. I have a very nice slicing miter saw but no table saw. But the table saws and skill levels of custom cabinetmakers are top of the pack. Thanks Sig.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hey, Lowes can sell you on of those Ilve 40-inch induction ranges for 9-10 grand.
Looks worth it, too. It's so friggin' retro, like buying an old Indian bike.

Posts: 18087 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Ha ! That stove is plenty nice I'm sure, but that sort of appliance belongs in a house owned by someone with flair, personality, and money. I think those stoves are made in Italy, pretty artsy fartsy appliance right there.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Aren't parts going to be a problem?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Aren't parts going to be a problem?

The private appliance store guys told me of a parts supplier they use, so IF those parts are somewhat generic, it may be possible, but like a previous poster said, the total cost for parts and special wire could get out of hand. But not having the electrical knowledge and skills, considering that appliance men don't mess with rewires for liability reasons, then I shouldn't be so confident I wouldn't burn my own house down myself. So I'm thinking a new stove would be a safer bet, and use any money saved from a restoration to hire a cabinet man to fill in the space if I can't do it myself with an acceptable level of quality.