Find
Notify
Tools

One Wheel Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted

I had seen these before and thought they were kinda stupid.

Fast forward last weekend. The company had a booth set up at an event I was at. I decided to try them out. Those things are insanely fun. They showed me how it works. Gave me a helmet. One of the guys helped me get on it and walked with me for about 20 feet to make sure I didn't kill myself. Then I got to ride it around. This was set up in a large grasses field. They had no issue going across the grass. Some people seemed to pick it up quickly others not so much.

If they were not so expensive I would buy one.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in western North Carolina which is somewhat mountainous. One day, I was riding my mountain bike up a fairly steep 3 mile trail and a dude on one of these passes me going up hill. I was blown away. Pretty cool technology.

Made in Texas, in the good ole' U.S. of A.

Posts: 242 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: May 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
<snip>
If they were not so expensive I would buy one.

How expensive? And how far will they go on a single charge?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8970 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
$950 for 6-8 miles
$1800 for 12-18 miles

Looks pretty interesting.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4026 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
A co-worker says he can't skateboard to save his life but was able to get on one of these and ride it with little trouble.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18024 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Just got the pint 8-mile range board. Learning how to ride but pretty damn cool. Used to skateboard but this is more like surfing or snowboarding.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can find far less expensive ways to break a hip.Big Grin

Posts: 17146 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
What? Did somebody say my name?

Funny that I was thinking of dressing up as Claptrap for Halloween.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4790 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I can find far less expensive ways to break a hip.Big Grin

I thought about that but found it easy to ride.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16403 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
If one of those is a bit intimidating you could go to a self balancing electric Unicycle..

Link

Posts: 23470 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
For an electric people mover, I'd love to have one of these. For $1,600 you get up to 40mph and 40 miles of range.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a BIL who has one in Arizona. He has been using the long range one for close to a year and a half going to and from work and thoroughly enjoys it. He only had one issue, being a technical person he basically took off the speed limiter and biffed it one time going down hill early on, no problems since then at all. Fun and gas savings as well.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post