SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At what age did you really "get" adulting?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what age did you really "get" adulting? Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
By 19 I was damn close. By 20 I had an apartment. By 21 I was 100% independent and had a 401k. By 23 I was married

Honestly at 19 I knew the path. I want to say 20 really.

Posts: 11433 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got some practice “adulting” around the age of 14 when my parents divorced and I was the one that needed to maintain and repair the house and yard.

Clean, definite break into adulthood when I went into the Navy after high school. Never lived at home again (it got sold while I was in). Never lived in Jersey again (Amen to that) and never had parents financial support again either.

Childhood was good (in the 1960’s) while it lasted, but it was a bit short.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Short answer, 29.

At 22, when my mom and best friend (same person) died. That’s when I finally moved out and went to Dallas.
While I was out on my own, I didn’t know how to deal with the loss of my mom. I wasn’t a drinker, so smoking weed and picking up girls at the clubs in Deep Ellum became a sport.

Long story short, I moved to Washington when I was 26. When I was 29 I finally got my head out of my ass and became a pretty good person.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tough question. I don't think I get much of anything sometimes and other times I'm a f'ing genius.
I'm still getting used to the empty nest thing with my daughter gone.
I drifted around a lot even just 15 years ago. I've lived in Ohio, Utah, Michigan and Georgia throughout my life.
I just try to do the best I can everyday and not screw anything up. Doesn't always work tho.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At 20. Joined the Army at 18 but didn’t really start adulting until I was responsible for others just after I turned 20.

Posts: 841 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
As benny6 said it’s all about your definition.

I started working at 13 and had a job every day until last April when I quit my old job and took a week off before I started my new one. I’ve had multiple jobs at multiple times in those 26 years. I paid the bills when I was in high school because my dad ran into financial problems. I joined the Marines at 18, got married at 21, had a professional career at 22 before I left the Marines, had kids at 28 and have been the sole income for the family since then. I’ve owned a house and paid off multiple cars.

Does that make me an adult? I don’t feel like one. I play video games and sometimes drink too much and sometimes let my grass grow too long. I don’t own a suit or a tie. I do a lot of things that would make my dad shake his head. But I pay the bills on time and everyone eats and has clothes to wear. I guess that will have to do.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15277 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad had me on the 1890 Program in the 1970s. Anyone here ever been involved in the old school 1890 Program?

It quite simply forced adulting on you. It went like this:

*When you turned 18, you had 90 days to move out.

THAT was when I "got" adulting.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am 49 and still trying to figure it out.... Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I may grow old, but I refuse to grow up.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

Does that make me an adult? I don’t feel like one. I play video games and sometimes drink too much and sometimes let my grass grow too long. I don’t own a suit or a tie. I do a lot of things that would make my dad shake his head. But I pay the bills on time and everyone eats and has clothes to wear. I guess that will have to do.

That's about the best answer and close to me.
I grew up on Atari and still play video games occasionally.
If I don't feel like cutting the grass, I won't.
I enjoy good beer and good food way to much sometimes.
I look in the mirror and see gray hair. I'm still my father's son so I don't feel like an adult sometimes even at age 51.
Bills get paid, I'm not in jail. So far, so good.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I was 11

My dad had brain cancer

My mother was an abusive alcoholic

I cooked, cleaned, maintained the house and yard, took care of my younger sister, and even learned how to pay bills with a check while scribbling my dad’s illegible by that time signature

And I knew I didn’t particularly like it

Now as an actual adult I resist doing a lot of these things I was forced to do as a pre-adolescent

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I'm never going through get it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32056 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Self sufficient (but poor) when I was about 25.

Mature adult in attitude around 35.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
About 5 days after I left the nest. When Mothers food ran out.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6410 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Boot camp @ Parris Island, SC. July 1977.
A very young 18 year old. No better way.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you call it”adulting,” you still don’t get it.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took me until 27 but was mostly caused by a good woman.

Posts: 4011 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts
Picture of GRIZZLYBEAR
posted Hide Post
Graduated High School got a good paying job bought a new car then got drafted in early '63 and arrived in Nam in Nov 63 some where during that tour of duty I believe became an adult.

Posts: 1896 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN,, PA USA | Registered: May 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I joined the Army when I was 18. A short time later, I was part of a small group that fought their way out of an ambush - and then counter attacked to relieve those who were pinned down. It was a sobering experience that produced a strong desire to never bring a brother home in a bag due to my stupidity.

However, since then I've been totally "peter pan". I'm not a drag on society but I'm reluctant to take on responsibility.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Number of years back I was driving here in town and looked in my rear view mirror and was being followed by a cop.... I did not 'pucker up' and after a moment realized this and also realized....I must be getting old or something... I think that might have been when I at least realized I was an adult.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post