SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    At what age did you really "get" adulting?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

At what age did you really "get" adulting? Login/Join 
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
20, out of school living in my own apt first career job in Northern MN.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I am guessing that those in the military, risking their lives, become adults pretty damn fast. Other than that, perhaps when one has to care for a child and an elderly parent, perhaps at the same time. I have to give the nod to those in the military. I did not personally feel like an adult until I was taking care of my mom after her stroke.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I’m still immature as hell so I probably haven’t reached the understanding phase yet.

Posts: 13843 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
December 31st, 1974. Had just turned 24 that October.

With the simple phrase "I Do" I went from being a single E4 without a care in the world to being a married E4 with a wife, 3 kids, a house payment and a car payment.

That'll adult the shit out of ya!

Stage Two came about 20 years later when I finally acknowledged that alcohol and I were not a good mix.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15528 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prep, Confirm, Roll
posted Hide Post
Moved out at 19 to serve a religious mission for 2 years and was financially independent at 22, married at 22 and a father at 24. Somewhere in there

NRA Certified instructor,
and Range Safety officer

OpSpec Training http://opspectraining.com
Grayguns - http://grayguns.com

Posts: 3173 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dabbled in adulting with my paper route. It taught me quite a bit about people and the little neighborhood I grew up in.
Childhood ended at 18 in a big way when a nuke loaded B-52 was rolling down the ramp in front of me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Being a productive, contributing member of society? Somewhere between fourteen and fifteen. Adulting? Fugetaboutit! I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.

Posts: 7100 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“Adulting?!?”

You must be a millennial

Posts: 13600 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've heard it said that one is not truly an "adult" until you become responsible for another person's life and well being. Or put another way, when someone is dependent upon you. That sounds about right. I'd say therefore it was when I got married and my wife and I became dependent upon each other. Then of course when we had our daughter, that took it to another level.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30954 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I've heard it said that one is not truly an "adult" until you become responsible for another person's life and well being. Or put another way, when someone is dependent upon you. That sounds about right. I'd say therefore it was when I got married and my wife and I became dependent upon each other. Then of course when we had our daughter, that took it to another level.

This is great.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
22, I was off probation and bought a house.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
18, when I got into law school, and started voting conservative.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Self-supporting at 18. Got married, bought a new truck and a house at 20. Average it out and it was probably when I was 19.

Posts: 430 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:

You got into law school at 18? Damn.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
24 before the light switched on and i figured out there are consequences to you actions and I better change my act. I'm 55 now and I consider myself a kid at heart.

Posts: 1828 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
Originally posted by Steyn:

You got into law school at 18? Damn.

Before you get too easily impressed by my (non-existant) exceptionality, I must add that, in the place I come from (in South America), there are no ”introductory” courses, like a B.A., a B.C. or a B.Sc: we go straight from high school to professional courses like Law, Engineering or Medicine (on the other hand, said courses last way longer than here in North America; a LL.B., for instance, will normally take 5.5 years to complete, as opposed to the North American standard of 3 years plus one year of articling).

In between grade 12 and university, there is a BRUTAL, all-encompassing SAT, covering EVERYTHING you’ve supposedly learnt all your life. Those with the best SAT scores get in the courses they applied for; those who do not try again next year.

Sorry for the thread drift; I just wanted to clarify.

Posts: 389 | Registered: October 12, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Next year, surely.

Posts: 3678 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
It was a continuous process. I worked my way through college so my parents didn't have to pay for most of it. When I graduated I was working at a nuclear power plant, they don't tolerate much on the job. When my wife and I got married in 1988, at her insistence, I was 29. Our son was born 4 years later. That was probably the end (for the most part) of my path to truly being an adult.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
When I put my Jack Russell Terrier Ringo down at 14. That was 3 years ago when I was 62.

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I could say it was when I was 17 and enlisted in the army. Or, when I was 14, working to earn enough money to buy my own clothes, pay for my school costs, and pay room and board to live at home.

Got married at 20 as an E3, had a daughter at 21, made E5 about 8 months after marriage. Worked part time jobs while still in the army to compensate for the truly shitty pay we were getting.

Got sent to Iran as an advisor for a year. Only debt we have incurred since our first new car purchase in 1958 was when we bought this house. And that was paid off in less than 3 years. Destroyed our savings account, but putting that mortgage money back into our savings account instead of to the mortgage company really set us up. Hard times? Yes, occasionally, but neither of us has ever regretted out lives.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post