SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If Your Children Watch YouTube, I Have A Favor To Ask...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If Your Children Watch YouTube, I Have A Favor To Ask... Login/Join 
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted
My 10-year-old son has recently started making gaming videos and uploading them to YouTube. He lacks confidence when speaking as he is hearing impaired. With some positive feedback, I believe narrating these videos will help build some confidence in his speaking ability. If you or your kids would subscribe to his channel, it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I have asked my 10 year old to watch some tomorrow.

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I subscribed and will have my son subscribe when he gets some iPad time.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Done, my boy will subscribe when he gets home from soccer practice.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Done. Seems like a good kid.

Posts: 134 | Location: NC | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't have kids at home anymore but I subscribed. I'll let a few of my friends know too. Anything to get bright kids into IT is a good thing IMHO.

Posts: 7666 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Forget IT.

Professional video gaming is big money these days.

Posts: 13063 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 9 year old son sits and watches these videos of other people playing games. I just don't get it, why not actually play the video game. He's on restriction from computers next 2 days due to an incident at school but I will show him this link when he's allowed back on.

Best of luck to your son

Posts: 4954 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
You probably already know this, and my apologies if I'm out of line, but chances are good some assholes will have something negative to say in the comments, maybe something extremely hurtful, just because they can. IMO you should really think twice about letting the comment feature be enabled, unless you plan to monitor the comments on every video closely and keep an open dialog going with your boy about how to cope with all the hateful trolls out there.

Edit to add: I'm not just saying that because of your son's hearing issue and lack of confidence. IMO kids shouldn't be allowed to freely communicate with strangers on the internet. (Easy to say since I don't have any kids in my care these days.)

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
You probably already know this, and my apologies if I'm out of line, but chances are good some assholes will have something negative to say in the comments, maybe something extremely hurtful, just because they can. IMO you should really think twice about letting the comment feature be enabled, unless you plan to monitor the comments on every video closely and keep an open dialog going with your boy about how to cope with all the hateful trolls out there.

You’re not out of line at all. Thank you for your concern. I keep a pretty close eye on things and we’ve had numerous discussions regarding bad behavior on the internet. Trolls provide great examples of how not to treat others.

Seeding his subscribers with the kind, thoughtful members of SigForum and their families is sure to be a positive experience for him.

He has already gained a few subscribers since I posted earlier and I deeply appreciate this. Thank you again, SigForum.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Someone here on the forums makes a living doing gaming videos on YouTube, but I've forgotten who it is.

And I agree, I'd disable the comments. YouTube comments can be notoriously vicious.

(No kids here, sorry)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Someone here on the forums makes a living doing gaming videos on YouTube, but I've forgotten who it is.

And I agree, I'd disable the comments. YouTube comments can be notoriously vicious.

(No kids here, sorry)

Me, unless someone else does it too. I don't agree or disagree with disabling the comments. It depends on how you want to manage that stuff with your kid. They are certainly capable of becoming a cesspool, but on the other hand they'd make a good learning experience on how to deal with assholes.

Also, if he's hearing impaired, it doesn't seem to have any effect on his speech from what I can tell Razz

Also also, don't look at my channel unless you're ok with a lot of foul language Razz

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Forget IT.

Professional video gaming is big money these days.

And I'm amazed the number of people doing so.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8364 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post