SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Be Careful What You Say to Your Doctor. It May Get Noted.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be Careful What You Say to Your Doctor. It May Get Noted. Login/Join 
posted
Had to meet with my new Urologist. During this meeting, the Doctor noted without any mention by me, that he understood I was a sports shooter. That caught be me by surprise since I'd never met him before. BTW, the Urologist has a Shotgun sports interest which is why he mentioned it.

Years ago, along with asking if had stairs in my house, slippery floors etc. (other over 60 year old questions), my primary doctor had asked the during my annual physical about firearms in the home. I mentioned I had several, belong to several ranges, was an RSO and shot matches each weekend. It was a pleasant conversation and we never discussed it again.

Apparently, its noted in my medical record. Recently, I've heard that the permanency of medical notes and one should be careful of what or how much is revealed in response to a question. Yes, I could have refused to answer the question a few years ago but, I didn't. He's been my primary doc for over 20 years and we have a good relationship.

My point is to be careful. IMHO, medical records and notes are permanent and can be used in a variety of ways. Red Flag laws could be one example I suppose and we have that in Washington State along with another that allows disclosure to the State of a firearm purchase.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess you could request that it be stricken from your medical record. I do not see how the fact that you own firearms would have any bearing on red flag laws. I bet lots of other folks know that you have guns.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If they are making conversation because they know you and have a genuine interest, fine. You could ask them not to write it down.

If the doc is basically a stranger, and asking because they are under the spell of the AMA which considers this a health issue, tell them to pound sand.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I just don't understand how any of this is relevant to be captured in medical records.

Any information discussed that is not relevant to diagnosis, prognosis, treatment shouldn't be captured as medical history.

But point taken - I'll not be discussing anything w/ doctors outside of the 3 things above.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12736 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In states with Red Flags laws, Doctors, among others, can red flag you.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes I suppose so. Psychologists and Psychiatrists can also sign Commitment Affidavits. If it bothers you ask that it be removed from your record.

Posts: 17252 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

So, asking you directly.
Are you able in your practice/business to report/enter specific information as part of any patient's permanent medical records?

And if so, does the entering of information specific to an individual's ownership or use of firearms, if not specific and germane to their case, something you will or would push back as a requirement of you/your practice/business?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
If the doc is basically a stranger, and asking because they are under the spell of the AMA which considers this a health issue, tell them to pound sand.

And then they could say, "Pt. became belligerent when asked about guns in the home." Wink

Just say, "Nope."

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Are you able in your practice/business to report/enter specific information as part of any patient's permanent medical records?

If they have an EMR, anything documented in their history is available to be seen across said system. It's kind of scary, but I (and pretty much anyone working in healthcare these days) have the ability to rifle through (illegally) anyone's permanent medical record within the PNW region if they are seeing any provider using EPIC or CERNER EMRs.

HIPAA be damned, it is VERY insecure.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, asking you directly.

And if so, does the entering of information specific to an individual's ownership or use of firearms, if not specific and germane to their case, something you will or would push back as a requirement of you/your practice/business?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The record belongs to the patient and not the hospital. Without a subpoena or a written release from the patient no such information disclosed.

It seems as if we have a hodge podge of laws where neighbors can report neighbors. People who claim they are victims of domestic violence can report in some states. IMHO it is over reaching and inappropriate. Red flags laws are ineffective.

posted Hide Post
On the lighter side of this topic my records must show I have painted toe nails.

I went to the dermatologist and was not thinking the day before my 3 yr old daughter painted the nail on my big toe.

Dr. said she had to note my painted nail since women have been known to have undetected cancer hidden by nail polish.

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have always been leery about anyone in the medical area asking about firearms.
Except for my now retired eye doctor (a great conservative and we had many common interests) of 40 years, I have never mentioned a word or would even consider it.
Me - I am always on the look out due to my paranoia but my fear is my naïve wife and I have to constantly reminder her that mum is the word. Eek
Be careful all is all I can say.

Posts: 22928 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:...

You did not answer my questions I asked you.

If you choose not to, that is your right.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43911 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Somewhat off topic, I wonder how men in my red flag state who may be going through a divorce or, unbeknownst to them about to go through a divorce, deal with a vengeful future ex-wife who might like to use a Red Flag law out of spite. For that matter, it doesn't even need to be a future ex-wife, could be a current live-(or non live-in) girl friend who feels jilted or whatever and wants to report it to the Police.

Ultimately, there is a hearing but I'd think you'd be spending about $5k to attend it with an attorney in order to prevent it.

Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Ive been having a similar issue with my Advantage plan insurer.

They don’t take no for an answer easily. Last time they called I got kind of short with them and asked “Who do I speak to in regards to getting you guys off my back? I don’t want on need these.”

That so far had done the trick.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8114 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Somewhat off topic, I wonder how men in my red flag state who may be going through a divorce or, unbeknownst to them about to go through a divorce, deal with a vengeful future ex-wife who might like to use a Red Flag law out of spite. For that matter, it doesn't even need to be a future ex-wife, could be a current live-(or non live-in) girl friend who feels jilted or whatever and wants to report it to the Police.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah that is part of the problem. When they started charging 500 bucks to file a Commitment Affidavit the reporting went way down.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

At least HIPAA still provides remedies against violations, and don't EPIC and CERNER systems both still require a user to "break the glass", as it were, to access patient records they're not assigned to?

Not arguing your point, but at least there's a built-in audit trail.

The bigger problem, IMO, is .gov use (at any level), which will never be considered illegal by .gov.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16271 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
One thing I learned from an ex-girlfriend is to answer a question with a question. Always worked for me.

Posts: 5307 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

At least HIPAA still provides remedies against violations, and don't EPIC and CERNER systems both still require a user to "break the glass", as it were, to access patient records they're not assigned to?

Not arguing your point, but at least there's a built-in audit trail.

The bigger problem, IMO, is .gov use (at any level), which will never be considered illegal by .gov.

-Rob

"Break the glass" is only put on if the patient requests it. I had it put on mine after a nurse was caught going through my records (she was fired for it). The only thing it does, though, is make it easier to track who looked at you. It doesn't prevent anyone from looking.

ETA: At least in my area (not sure if system-wide) psychiatric records are all behind a "break the glass" wall. Those are the only ones though. They are still simple to access by entering your login and password again.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Doc: Do you have any firearms at home?

Patient: Doc do you mean those evil killing machines we see all over the news? OMG NO I don't have any of those! Why would anyone have such an evil killing machine?

Doc: Writes NO down

Patient: Inwardly smiles because he/she does not have any evil killing machines!!!! None of mine have ever thought about or taken action to be evilly used. They just sit there, and nothing can be done to make them misbehave.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My PCP had a patient survey question: "If you have any firearms in your home, are they securely stored?" Answer choices: yes/no/not applicable. My N/A answer (since this has nothing to do with my health) got my medical record (as shown in the "patient portal") annotated "no guns in home." It's all about the feels.

Posts: 6495 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post