Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Convertibles Login/Join 
posted
How come there are very few these days? In my youth they were all over the place. Did they go out of fashion?

Posts: 17267 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’ve been in convertibles most of my entire life.

My current grocery-getter has the top down all the time unless I’m stuck in traffic and in an absolute downpour.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Since most cars are unibody, it's difficult to make a convertible that will have the strength to counter the loss of rigidity that comes with convertibles. No roof means a lot of strength gone. You'll only see convertibles or targas in sports cars that have shortened wheelbases and/or carbon-reinforced passenger tubs.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18027 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You kind of have to be a ragtop guy. Convertibles are fun in certain circumstances. But they are noisy even with the top up. They are cold/hot depending on the weather. Can't leave valuables in the car. The back window usually gets messed up. The top falls apart eventually. Sometimes the top leaks. And on and on.

That said, ragtop guys are willing to suffer it all for the freedom felt when breaking the speed limit with the top down. Most people are not ragtop guys.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Did they go out of fashion?

It's an SUV world out there. And one of the most popular configs is the pickup truck.

But there are lots of convertible models for 2022- Mazda Miata, Porsche Boxster, 911, various BMW,s Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Camaro, Corvette, etc. etc.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
How come there are very few these days? In my youth they were all over the place. Did they go out of fashion?

Many of the convertible people gave in and bought the real deal, motorcycles! Smile

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7112 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Lots of them here in this resort town. High end for sure.

My sense is that the general population has shifted their mindset towards automobiles as being an appliance. Getting in the car is for the purpose of arriving somewhere asap. Gone are the days when a car was personal. It was something you took care of, took pride in, and enjoyed driving.

In addition, many roads have so much traffic that it isn't pleasant to have the top down. Too noisy, and too many exhaust fumes. I also think most people are too soft to deal with the outside temperature being less than perfect.

We've got a convertible and love it. We enjoy getting off the freeways whenever possible on road trips. We don't mind if it is a bit cold or hot - we just dress for it. But I don't think we are typical car buyers any more.

Posts: 9479 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
They are really not a lot of fun in Florida. We had the Lexus SC430 for a while. Most of the year it was too hot to comfortably put the top down. Many of the roads around Orlando are too busy for it to be "nice" with the top down, even in decent winter weather. Too many heavy trucks, lots of traffic, etc.

Convertibles are great in beach towns, and out in the country. Anywhere near a city, and in the seriously hot south, they don't get as much use as you think they would.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12797 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not a convertible, but my faux-Lotus 7 will be 100% open top (no top/roof, doors, and barely a windshield).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15366 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
PNW is convertible weather, except for the one week where it snows. And I only avoid the roads at that time, because people here haven’t got a clue on driving.

Affirmed “Ragtop guy” for life.

There’s a lot of truth in the post about motorcycles.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Quite a few vehicles have removable hard tops these days instead of convertible tops. All of the benefits, few of the disadvantages.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3518 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Mine has been good for 268,000 miles so far.

For winter drives, I was able to find the optional aluminum hard top.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
This one is current

and replaced this one

which replaced this one

which replaced this one

which replaced this one

Posts: 4700 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been a convertible guy since my teenage years.....starting with a '52 Ford vert. I still own one and the top rarely goes up. These newer convertibles are soooo much more comfortable than those of yesteryear. Kinda like the old British sports car people!!

Posts: 6630 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they go out of fashion?

Not sure. No convertible for me. Just knew i couldn't look as cool in a convertible as Don Johnson in that black Ferrari Daytona Spyder, so I didn't even try.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I blame it on air conditioning.

Many people today can't last 7 minutes without air conditioning.

My car is a convertible. But my boat is a hard top. Weird, huh?

I wish they would make a phaeton touring car with three rows of seats and a convertible top, on an F150 chassis. Looking like an old Packard, maybe.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
1999 Mazda Miata base - traded for….
2005 Mazdaspeed Miata - sold it for……
2006 Honda S2000 - Best car I’ve ever owned.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4238 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most affordable convertibles are based off of coupes. There aren’t a ton of coupes like there was back in the day.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
This one is current

Fellow C5 Driver Cool

Posts: 2042 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I drive it from 35F-100F with the top down.

And, yes, I do everything myself.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43918 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post