SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else think truffle oil is nasty?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else think truffle oil is nasty? Login/Join 
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

A true foodie, is one who understands food, its pathway of sourcing, preparation, and can appreciate its presentation; you don't need to be a sophisticate to be a foodie. The stereotype of someone who constantly eats out, looks down on diners, stands, walk-up counters, chases Michelin started restaurants, dispenses criticism and hobnobs with chefs, does not make a foodie.

Then I'm pretty close to a true foodie. I just don't like the term because people that use it are more often the stereotype you describe.

Sorry for a drift. When I lived overseas we used the “Redbook” to find restaurants that fit our budget. While I have not used one in years, we used it to figure out where to eat in a new city.
There are some 2 or 3 star that were incredible at a great price. As I recall you would get a sense of dress as well. It was a tool that was useful while traveling. I like the diners, drive in and dives kinda food.

All that said, I struggle with truffle oil as flavor that makes my socks got up and down. For me it’s more marketing.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
I must be a philistine because I find the taste of truffles and truffle oil repulsive.

Tastes like rotten dirt to me.

JB

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
It's great in moderation. As you said, you already had it on fries which were great.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watch Food Network shows a lot. One judge said he would pretty much automatically vote against any chef who used truffle oil, based on the fakery and the tendency to over-use it. Up until that point, I thought it was just me who didn't care for it.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
We sell truffle oil. I love it. But truffle oil is like high proof whiskey. It’s good in moderation, but if you have too much, it’s not a good time.

Frayedends, if you would like a bottle of not rancid, tasty truffle oil, email me an address that UPS can deliver to, and I’ll send you a bottle.

Do you have a website?

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
Sorry for a drift. When I lived overseas we used the “Redbook” to find restaurants that fit our budget. While I have not used one in years, we used it to figure out where to eat in a new city.
There are some 2 or 3 star that were incredible at a great price. As I recall you would get a sense of dress as well. It was a tool that was useful while traveling. I like the diners, drive in and dives kinda food.

My statement about chasing Michelin stars is directed those who 'only' seek out starred restaurants, eschewing all other places because of their own sense of entitlement Roll Eyes

The red book does a really good job of identifying unique and special places, I like to seek out the Bib Gourmand and Plate ratings. When abroad, I'll splurge for 1-2 meals at a starred place, might as well treat yourself to something elevated and well executed. I'll do some research beforehand, seeking out food writers and journalists who specialize in certain countries/regions, and seek out what they like and recommend.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post