SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else think truffle oil is nasty?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else think truffle oil is nasty? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I consider myself a bit of a foodie. Although I find the term annoying. Years ago I got Parmesan truffle fries from a local place and they were really good.

Fast forward and I tried them at a new place and I just thought the truffle oil was rancid so I had them get an order without it. Then one time my dinner side was zucchini and it had truffle oil. Same nasty smell and taste. My fiancé just got a mushroom pizza with it and the smell alone grossed me out. I don’t get why people like it. Maybe they are just using too much.

Anyhow I’m bored and been stuck in the house sick for a few days so I’m posting a lot. Lol.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's one of those things that is very good in moderation, but many people use way too much of it and in that situation I agree it's nasty.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just the way they used it in a recipe?
Truffle Parmesan Fries sounds good to me, I've had them and loved them.
Can't recall much other implementations ~ maybe Truffle Mac and Cheese all good but it was at a high end restaurant.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe they are just using too much.

I was told at one point by someone knowledgeable that the 'temperature at which it is cooked' is crucial to which esters/micro components of the truffle-flavor compounds are fragile and easily mutilated. Of course other words were used.

It seemed reasonable, as I decreased the temp at which I added a few drops to my home omlettes and noted improvement in flavor.

Still, this is not a claim to 'reality' but a suggestion if further research is warranted for your purpose.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like truffles, however the vast, VAST majority of what's labeled as 'truffle oil' is crap; it's a giant waste, a creation of marketing. It's possible the oil being used, had gone rancid or, an ingredient had gone bad. Kitchens are hot spaces and if oil is not put away or, allowed to sit around, and not used, it can go bad quickly. If you like the flavor, that's fine, many people like Kraft mac n'cheese, which I find horrible but, for many people, it's comfort food spurring childhood memories.

Here's a article about truffle oils and its background

quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I consider myself a bit of a foodie. Although I find the term annoying.

A true foodie, is one who understands food, its pathway of sourcing, preparation, and can appreciate its presentation; you don't need to be a sophisticate to be a foodie. The stereotype of someone who constantly eats out, looks down on diners, stands, walk-up counters, chases Michelin started restaurants, dispenses criticism and hobnobs with chefs, does not make a foodie.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

A true foodie, is one who understands food, its pathway of sourcing, preparation, and can appreciate its presentation; you don't need to be a sophisticate to be a foodie. The stereotype of someone who constantly eats out, looks down on diners, stands, walk-up counters, chases Michelin started restaurants, dispenses criticism and hobnobs with chefs, does not make a foodie.

Then I'm pretty close to a true foodie. I just don't like the term because people that use it are more often the stereotype you describe.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

IMO, a "foodie" does not need to be a chef or cook, or understand "sourcing" or preparation, etc. or have any special knowledge of food.

To me, a "foodie" is one that lives to eat, not eats to live.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Truffle oil needs to be used very very sparingly. One drop goes a long way. It's not like adding fresh truffles (fresh truffle might be an oxymoron) where you can shave some on things.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yeah I'm thinking these folks are using cheap truffle oil and using way too much.

As far as foodie, I do cook and I'm interested in the source of my food. But I also think someone that appreciates good food and is interested in trying all kinds of foods could be considered a foodie.

As far as living to eat, well I fall into that a bit. But I'm trying to change my diet and not treat every meal as a reward. I think there can be a balance.

These go to eleven.

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah I'm thinking these folks are using cheap truffle oil and using way too much.

As far as foodie, I do cook and I'm interested in the source of my food. But I also think someone that appreciates good food and is interested in trying all kinds of foods could be considered a foodie.

As far as living to eat, well I fall into that a bit. But I'm trying to change my diet and not treat every meal as a reward. I think there can be a balance.

Yep. I don't live to eat. There are so many other things to "live for" I enjoy good food and will abstain from crappy food even if I'm a bit hunger waiting for the good stuff. When I eat, I want to enjoy it. For me it's one of life's little pleasures. If it's just to fill my gut, I pass. Of course I've never been in a sever survivor situation which would change this paradigm.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Most Truffle Oil isn't, especially the relatively inexpensive on-frenchfries version.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We sell truffle oil. I love it. But truffle oil is like high proof whiskey. It’s good in moderation, but if you have too much, it’s not a good time.

Frayedends, if you would like a bottle of not rancid, tasty truffle oil, email me an address that UPS can deliver to, and I’ll send you a bottle.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Since I don’t have access to real truffles, nor have I ever been fortunate enough to have them shaved onto a prepared dish, the truffle oil is all I know.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
We sell truffle oil. I love it. But truffle oil is like high proof whiskey. It’s good in moderation, but if you have too much, it’s not a good time.

Frayedends, if you would like a bottle of not rancid, tasty truffle oil, email me an address that UPS can deliver to, and I’ll send you a bottle.

Email inbound! Thanks so much. I can't wait to try!

These go to eleven.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
It’ll ship tomorrow. Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks again! I will report back once I use it.

These go to eleven.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Noah,

I could swear I'd heard several times in the past that 99% of "truffle oil" in the marketplace has zero truffle content. Instead relying on synthetic agents to give it "truffle flavor." Can you comment on this please?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Thanks again! I will report back once I use it.

Nice!! Lucky! Smile Range report expected upon receipt.

I actually am not keen on truffles or truffle oil; I've never liked anything with truffles noted as part of the dish. Especially for the cost. Some people don't like cilantro, I don't like truffle. Not sure why.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12723 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
it's nasty

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Noah,

I could swear I'd heard several times in the past that 99% of "truffle oil" in the marketplace has zero truffle content. Instead relying on synthetic agents to give it "truffle flavor." Can you comment on this please?

The truffle oil that we sell definitely has truffles. Literally, there are two shaved slices in the bottle.
It is flavored by steeping truffle slices in the oil. What we sell isn’t cheap, but being that we offer wholesale prices, it’s not that bad either.

Our “premium truffle oil” is not the chemical fake shit. We do sell two kinds though. What I’m sending to frayedends is the good, real, good shit.

quote:
The “lol” thread