SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    a simple thought for the day. Helping others.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a simple thought for the day. Helping others. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
If you do something, or are thinking of doing something for someone. Expecting to get something in return. You are doing it wrong.

Of course this does not apply if you are working for someone where there is expectation of reimbursement.

I know we all do this. Myself included. But it is a reminder to self that helping someone with out an expectation of anything in return is a good practice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19774 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
This...

Matthew 6
Giving to the Needy

1 “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.
2 “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,
4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Old Rugged Cross - you seem to be just the one (by name anyway) to start such a thread as this.

You are correct. So many of us are so blessed. We can, with little discomfort, be generous to our fellow man.

You are also correct with the idea that it is not generosity if there is any hope or expectation of a return. Anonymous is also a good factor in the event.

As far as being blessed, I don’t question whether or not I can consider myself blessed. What I question is “Why me?” The following thought is that I have some responsibility to share, as I am able, to help others. I don’t have to share every day or even every week. Sometimes the opportunity presents itself and I step in.

As a teacher, I help others become more independent and self sufficient.

As a small contractor I help seniors stay in their homes rather than selling and moving to handicapped housing.

As a man on the street I have stopped to help where I saw a need.

As a volunteer I have helped rebuild homes destroyed by seasonal storms.

None of this is listed for my vanity, it is listed as ideas for others. Being semi-retired there is more time to help out others. If the question is “how would I get started?” That answer is simple - walk into your church or any church. “I am here to help....”

There will be those that are confounded by your giving. I would consider them “immature souls”, not yet able to understand our relationship to our brother or sister. One day they may grow and understand, some never will.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post