SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seeking quality soft-close kitchen cabinet hinges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking quality soft-close kitchen cabinet hinges Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
I’m looking to refit face frame kitchen cabinet doors with quality soft-close cabinet door hinges. Does anyone have experience with a particular brand which will fit the bill? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I believe we have some cabinets pros on here.
But, if I can remember, I'll see if there's a brand marked on ours when I get home.
Only 3 months in on this house & not sure how old they are, but they work great with 3 kids so far.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Thanks!

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Before even considering hinges, make sure you know what the overhang on your doors is/will be. If you miss on that, you will not be happy. Regarding hinges themselves, as with most things, the installation itself would dictate the brand/expense for me.

Is this your home?
Do you intend to stay in it longer term?
What sort of quality are the cabinets/doors themselves?

There is 'zero' reason to install expensive hinges in really cheap boxes. IMO that's just wasting money.

You have options all the way from Amazon hinges I've used numerous times on lower end installs, all the way up to Blum hinges that are cream of the crop, but you pay a premium for them.

Give us some more info, and you should get some very good answers.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Blum is only a couple bucks each if you shop around and worth the money.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The cabinets aren’t custom but they’re solid wood with no particle board or mdf that I can see.

I’d like the hinges to last as long as I do and would prefer not to be changing them out all the time due to breakage.

They currently have Blum hinges which lack the soft-close feature.

Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
Link

Check the link above and you may find something that'll suit your needs. Blum does make a soft close add-on for some of their hinges. If you have a chance to post a picture or two, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus:
Link

Check the link above and you may find something that'll suit your needs. Blum does make a soft close add-on for some of their hinges. If you have a chance to post a picture or two, I may be able to point you in the right direction.
Beat me to it. Blum (as well as a number of other companies) make several versions of add-on soft close solutions. Given you already have Blum hinges in place, I wouldn't mess with changing them out.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used Blum 38N blumotion soft close hinges when I redid mine last year. I got them from Amazon, current price 39.99 for 10 with free shipping. Cabinetparts.com is cheaper but I'm sure you will have to add for freight.

My old hinges looked just like yours. You will just have to get the correct overlay for your doors. I did have to drill new screw holes on the door because they didnt line up. Looks like you will have to as well. No big deal just be careful not to drill thru the door!

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Wife works for a custom cabinet company. Blum all the way.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seamus
posted Hide Post
Link

I believe these are what you're after. There could also be alternative setups from Blum with the soft close already integrated, but that would be a far more complex project.

"Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough."

-Mark Twain

Posts: 416 | Registered: January 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus:
Link

I believe these are what you're after. There could also be alternative setups from Blum with the soft close already integrated, but that would be a far more complex project.
As an aside, I installed those in a very high end home owned by a friend of my father a few years ago, and the homeowner is still very happy with them. For $5/door, that's your best solution.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just checked mine, all Blum
House was owned by commercial contractors before us & they did a full remodel a few years ago.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking at all the different options has my head spinning. I think for now I’ll double check some measurements tomorrow and then order up a 10-pack of the 38N’s suggested by ranger312 and see how that goes. If all goes well, I can order up the rest that I need. If not, back to the drawing board. Thanks, all.