SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any DFW are members have an oxygen tank I can borrow?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any DFW are members have an oxygen tank I can borrow? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Our Boston Terrier is in heart failure, and we'd like to see how he reacts to getting supplemental oxygen with one of these hoods designed for flying. The vet says it is worth a try. If it's helpful, I'll buy a tank and everything, but if anyone has a tank we could borrow for a few days to try it out, it would be greatly appreciated and you might help our furry kid.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to rent one for a day/week/month from a health supply store?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wish we were closer. I have a portable O2 system for the airplane that I'm not using right now that you would be welcome to try, but logistics don't work.

ffps mentioned renting one. I bet that's an option if no forum member in your area has one.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30743 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of tanks, and a little closer than V-tail. Still ~200 miles.

Usually a prescriptions is required. Maybe the vet can help. A small tank will last several days at low flow rate for a small dog.

Suppliers are everywhere, but they are mostly geared up for human/insurance/Medicare type deals.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
If you do wind up deciding to do it, they make oxygen masks for dogs that are about 1/4 the price of those hoods.

http://www.petoxygenmasks.org/4mypet.html

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the suggestions. My assumption was that any medical supply place would require a prescription. Maybe I will stop by one tomorrow and see.

quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
If you do wind up deciding to do it, they make oxygen masks for dogs that are about 1/4 the price of those hoods.

The vet thought one of those would likely stress him out. She said if he would wear the hood for a few hours a day just chilling out it could be very helpful. But she was worried about amping him up.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18040 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your Vet doesn't have a source for you to try? That surprises me. I'd question her more, but don't take a lot of time with that avenue, as it sounds like your terrier is in pretty dire straights.

Maybe another Vet could help with a source. If you're still in Dallas (guessing by your handle) there's got to be a whole bunch of Veterinary hospitals around.

Sorry I'm too far away to help (northern IL).

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

The vet thought one of those would likely stress him out. She said if he would wear the hood for a few hours a day just chilling out it could be very helpful. But she was worried about amping him up.

Ah okay, I was thinking the opposite with his whole head in the hood. But the vet would know better than I would.

Posts: 6352 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post