SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    search engine keeps resetting to yahoo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

search engine keeps resetting to yahoo Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
I've been using macs for 10-15 years so my knowledge base on Windows is dated and could use some help. I've googled the heck out of this and nothing I do lasts after a restart/shutdown.

I have a Lenovo Ideapad running Windows 11 Home. It defaults my search engine to Yahoo after a restart. I can change it to Google or whatever but it reverts back to Yahoo every time I turn off and start back up. This is on the Chrome browser.

I change it by going to the three dots upper right > settings > Search Engine > manage search engine to change it.

I would be happy to get rid of Yahoo forever but mostly I just need the search engine I pick to stay and not default to Yahoo every time I restart.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Kinda sounds like some malware to me. At least, that's what I'd be looking at with that kind of behavior.

At the very least, I'd recommend trying out Brave Browser.

Posts: 17224 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in chrome settings: where you select "google search", also check/select what to open on startup.

Posts: 2221 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
in chrome settings: where you select "google search", also check/select what to open on startup.

I don't see the option open at startup.

I can also select delete Yahoo in the settings of chrome and it disappears but comes back on startup

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Chromes tips on how to set it, and if it doesn't work, how to id and remove malware

https://support.google.com/chr...E.Platform%3DDesktop

Posts: 23594 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
What does Default browser say in chrome just below search engine on settings page?

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I would uninstall Chrome if I were you and use a different browser instead. If you must use Chrome, download a fresh copy directly from Google and reinstall it after uninstalling the default installation.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You got McAffee on that thing? My laptop has it, I just never got around to taking it off because I'm lazy, but occasionally it'll trick me somehow, and McAffee will change my default to Yahoo.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17009 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
You got McAffee on that thing? My laptop has it, I just never got around to taking it off because I'm lazy, but occasionally it'll trick me somehow, and McAffee will change my default to Yahoo.

I think this likely is the problem. Can I remove McAffee?

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
You should be able to right click the icon for McAffee in the start menu and click on uninstall to remove it. Do a search on "Remove McAffee completely from PC" to see if there are any issues you might need to be aware of.

Posts: 3391 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
To remove absolutely everything, McAfee has an exe file called MCPR.exe.

It's on their site.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31432 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
I uninstalled McAfee months ago to try and fix this problem. I don't see it anywhere on my computer when I search but I could be missing something.

lbj I don't see that file either when I search.

When I go to settings in Chrome, then search engines, and then manage search engines I have a few but what is of interest is one with the yahoo simple the says "Secure Search (Default)
mcafee"

I can delete it and it's gone until I restart then it's back and it's the default search engine in Chrome. I can't find Yahoo or Mcaffe on my computer though.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Kinda sounds like some malware to me. At least, that's what I'd be looking at with that kind of behavior.

At the very least, I'd recommend trying out Brave Browser.
I've been using Brave, but found that there are a number of sites that do not work with it. I've had to revert to Firefox for some applications.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
My PC came with the McAfee suite pre-installed as well.

It seems that the McAfee product is actually multiple separate applications.
McAfee WebAdvisor is what handles the default search engine.
When I uninstalled McAfee, the uninstall for WebAdvisor was a separate task.

I found a couple of articles on the McAfee site that looks like they might be useful.

1. https://www.mcafee.com/support...l&shell=article-view
This article describes "McAfee WebAdvisor changed my search engine"

2. https://www.mcafee.com/support...l&shell=article-view
This article describes "How to disable or uninstall McAfee WebAdvisor"

Hope this helps.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
That can happen with malware.
Not usually too serious but the fix is by using MalwareBytes, Reset your browser and clear dns cache (CMD: ipconfig /flushdns).

Posts: 22952 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Patrick Thank you. Those articles did the trick.

For anyone else interested McAfee was pre-installed on my computer. With all their junk was a separate app called "WebAdvisor". So it never showed up when I looked and searched for McAfee or Yahoo which I had already uninstalled. It seems this app/program keep changing my setting every time I restarted my computer.

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
My PC came with the McAfee suite pre-installed as well.

It seems that the McAfee product is actually multiple separate applications.
McAfee WebAdvisor is what handles the default search engine.
When I uninstalled McAfee, the uninstall for WebAdvisor was a separate task.

I found a couple of articles on the McAfee site that looks like they might be useful.

1. https://www.mcafee.com/support...l&shell=article-view
This article describes "McAfee WebAdvisor changed my search engine"

2. https://www.mcafee.com/support...l&shell=article-view
This article describes "How to disable or uninstall McAfee WebAdvisor"

Hope this helps.

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Once you fix this problem, get rid of anything related to Mcafee or other third party antivirus software.
The Windows 10 standard stuff is fine.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post