SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It was 25 degrees at my house, somewhere in VA this copper head was out to play.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It was 25 degrees at my house, somewhere in VA this copper head was out to play. Login/Join 
posted

Just whole hell of alot of nope. It was 25 degrees at my house today. What the heck. I think the Clintons must have been transfusing Hillary with reptile blood... I feel for the copper head.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
Yep. About a week or two ago it was low 30's and found a little rattler, about 10" long curled up under my hose bib. I kneeled down on a knee and took the cover off the bib, threaded the hose on and then noticed the little bastard... I removed his head promptly. Glad I didn't get lit up.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I thought you could pet them at that temp.?

Posts: 7382 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
I thought you could pet them at that temp.?

As with the ladies, it is best to give them a cuddle till they warm up to you.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
Should've uh... un-alived it...

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
That's a cottonmouth, not a copperhead.

That area of Virginia is the northernmost range of the Eastern Cottonmouth. They suffer a high winter mortality. Here's why: In areas south of here, it essentially stays warm enough for most snakes to stay somewhat active all year long with only brief periods of hybernation, or none at all. North of here, it cold enough that snakes will go into true hybernation for half the year. But in Virginia, we have wacky winters. The Appomatox River population of Cottonmouths usually don't experience winters cold enough to go into hybernation for half the year, but still too cold to move around and feed. So many of them are awake, but not eating, which eats up their winter fat reserves at a faster rate than if their metabolisms were slowed way down in hybernation. That population of cottonmouth usually comes out of the winter emaciated. More die over the winter than in populations in even slightly warmer areas - like here in Newport News, about 70 miles away.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, you are correct apparently. This guy is the same shade as the melanistic copper head i had on our property a couple of years ago. The banding is far more copperhead also. But the wildlife management teap that posted the photo says cottonmouth.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
Should've uh... un-alived it...

^^^ THIS, ALWAYS THIS.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2750 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Un-alived it with prejudice I would say!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Can't you eat them raw, like sushi? Razz

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8401 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Wow, you are correct apparently. This guy is the same shade as the melanistic copper head i had on our property a couple of years ago. The banding is far more copperhead also. But the wildlife management teap that posted the photo says cottonmouth.

Sounds like a very technical question with the same answer either way.

Posts: 9555 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
It's in the teens now, but we've generally had a pretty mild winter. It was 67 yesterday at lunch time. I'm surprised we haven't been seeing snakes out on warm days.

Posts: 26953 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s a cute and cuddly little guy you have there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My brother and his best friend use to fish all over Lake Chesdin and they always said watch out for the snakes.

His best friend told my father that they fished 120+ days straight one year. Smile

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post