SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Induction Ranges
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Induction Ranges Login/Join 
posted
We are in the process of purchasing a new house in Ohio, moving back from Kansas. This home is located in the country and uses propane for heat. It has a standard electric stove.

We are currenly using gas for cooking. My intention is to replace the existing stove with an induction range. Everything I have read indicates that induction is more efficient than gas.

If there are any members using induction, can you provide an overview on your experience using it along with make/model and any recommendation?

Thank you.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Less flexible in terms of cookware. I like gas.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
While I like gas, I'm wanting an induction top for my next house. All of my cookware is either cast iron, or magnetic steel.

Quicker, safer, cheaper (since I'm on an LP tank).

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17298 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a Thermidor 36 inch 5 burner cooktop. We really like it. From the decreased amount of time to boil a pot of water, to not having to worry about food being cooked on the top itself, it's awesome. The glass gets warm, but not as hot as a standard cooktop does.
The only drawback was we had to buy all stainless cookware. I bought All Clad from www.cookwarenmore.com. Factory seconds, but I couldn't find any defects. Going strong for 8 years now.

Posts: 2159 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Our experience is with an induction hot plate we ordered "As Seen on TV". Never did that before, but we LOVE it, have not used the (electric) stove top since unless we need an extra burner.
We like dialing in the temperature, and the rapid cooling of top and pan for cleanup.
For a hundred bucks or so you can buy one to try it out; it's called NuWave.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Our experience is with an induction hot plate we ordered "As Seen on TV". Never did that before, but we LOVE it, have not used the (electric) stove top since unless we need an extra burner.
We like dialing in the temperature, and the rapid cooling of top and pan for cleanup.
For a hundred bucks or so you can buy one to try it out; it's called NuWave.

Yep. My mom bought a NuWave a couple of years ago. It sits on top of her gas range, which I don't think she's used since except for Christmas and Thanksgiving dinners, where she needs more than one burner.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16273 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I took a cooking class at a local Italian place awhile back they had induction units set up for everyone to use. Seems you couldn't have more than two on a 20 amp circuit or you would trip the breaker. So my impression since then is they must draw some serious amperage.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8538 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
We have a Kenmore Induction Range. We wanted gas but upgrading our current gas line to support a gas stove was just too expensive. The induction is nice. You have instant heat adjustments like gas and it does boil water very quickly. The cooktop still gets quite warm, but not as bad as electric. The only downside is cookware. You are limited on that front, but once we upgraded to induction compliant cookware, it hasn't been a problem. Overall we are happy with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cmparrish,

Posts: 1697 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
As someone who does most of the cooking, I would never have anything but gas. To include a 'simmer' burner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12346 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just built a house and went with a Jenn Air induction cooktop. Model # JJIC4536XB. While neither my wife or I are chefs, we know our way around the kitchen. I posted a question about induction vs gas some time back and got flamed for even thinking of going induction. While we've only been in the house for 2 weeks we've used it a handful of times already. The heat is very customizable from high all the way down to simmer. It will require some time to get used to an induction but I think that we are going to enjoy it. Both gas and induction have pros and cons but for us the pros outweighed the cons. Similar comparisons for gas vs charcoal grills. It comes down to what you like and what works best for you.

Posts: 191 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Whatever works best for you and makes y'all happy.

Serious cooks seem to prefer gas cooktops and electric ovens, but most folks don't have room for that.

I'm going to purchase the induction single at Costco. About $70 and includes some pot or pan.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11861 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have family that has one. No way in hell I would ever buy one. No way.
If you want to know why? As yourself the same question. Why?

Two of the four burners are out. It is like $1800 to fix Roll Eyes

No thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19227 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked into it. Functionally, it's fantastic. However, they are freaking expensive. There are few models on the market and they are *expensive* to repair. Normally, I never buy an extended warranty for any product but I would for this. Some models are really fickle. The induction mechanism is expensive to replace. And better check your home's electrical panel because they take a LOT of amps. I couldn't install one in my condo because I don't have the capacity without upgrading.

Posts: 693 | Location: PA | Registered: August 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I've seen studies of heat distribution with various heating methods. The induction types had a hot spot in the middle of the pan/pot. My ceramic cooktop heats evenly over the whole surface of the burner.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9000 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your input. The pots and pans we already have will work for induction. Hopefully Appliance Brad will way in with any information he may have.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I vote for gas if for no other reason than you can still cook if/when the power goes out.

I have one of the NuWave gadgets and they work OK. I used it quite a bit as an extra burner after I got it, but it has since been occupying space in the pantry. I sometimes take it out to the grill table if cooking a meal outside.

Posts: 20125 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post