SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frank's Red hot - levels?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frank's Red hot - levels? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I picked up a bottle at the market. I've never tried it before - my first bottle. I've been using Secret Aardvark habanero recently - tasty and has some kick. Can trigger a sweat if I eat too much.

I got the Original. I didn't know there were different levels. The Original is not spicy at all; not even Tabasco level. It is pretty tasty and has a nice but mild vinegar kick. But not very spicy at all.

I'm going to look for different levels next time I'm at the market. Seems like they have 3 levels above Original.

Do they get hot very quickly? Or should I just go for the hottest level off the bat? Right now, I could drink the Original and not really feel it - very mild for me. I don't want pain but at the very least, I should feel that this is a spicy sauce. Buffalo is a level above but buffalo wings are not something I generally consider spicy either.

Trying it because of comments by others here and elsewhere - otherwise, I'm actually pretty happy with the Secret Aardvark.

Aside: one way I enjoy Secret Aardvark is mixing some with some brown sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil as a dipping sauce for gyoza / potstickers.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me, Franks is a Louisiana style hot sauce, not much heat and the use of vinegar. I could go through a bottle in a day or two depending on the chow.

https://www.franksredhot.com/en-us

I turn to Sriracha hot sauce for a little heat. Good stuff, make my eyes sweat and nose run.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Ah, okay. Thanks. I guess my expectations were wrong. I'm not sure what the different styles are but I guess Louisiana style is tasty but not what I'd consider a hot sauce. I wonder what style Secret Aardvark would be considered.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like you’re used to Habanero peppers.

https://www.hotsauce.com/Secret-Aardvark/

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
To me, Franks is a Louisiana style hot sauce, not much heat and the use of vinegar. I could go through a bottle in a day or two depending on the chow.

https://www.franksredhot.com/en-us

I turn to Sriracha hot sauce for a little heat. Good stuff, make my eyes sweat and nose run.

Even the hottest version of Frank’s is not very hot, but there are plenty of much hotter Louisiana-style hot sauces.

Also, Sriracha is hotter than regular Frank’s (which is probably the mildest widely-available hot sauce), but it is still WAY on the mild side of the hot sauce spectrum. Even regular Tabasco is hotter. Maybe Sriracha seems hotter than it is because it comes in a squirt bottle and you use more?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Buffalo is a level above but buffalo wings are not something I generally consider spicy either.

Traditional Buffalo wing sauce is actually just a mix of regular Frank’s RedHot and melted butter, somewhere between 1/4 butter to 3/4 butter depending on desired heat.

If you want a really good hot sauce that is just a nice, clean pepper flavor and not much else but significantly hotter, look at the Marie Sharp’s habanero line. The “regular” Marie Sharp’s has a white label that says “HOT.” There is one milder one and several hotter ones (plus a bunch of other ones in different styles with a bunch of different stuff in them).

The white label “HOT” Marie Sharp’s is the best general-purpose hot sauce I have found. It’s hot enough to add some heat to food (quite a bit hotter than most grocery store hot sauces), but not nuclear, so you can actually taste the peppers. It pretty much just tastes like hot peppers, it doesn’t have a bunch of extra flavors (or a ton of vinegar) that can fight with some foods. It goes well with everything.

https://mariesharpsusa.com/col...nal-hot-pepper-sauce

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've found Tapatio to be a "hotter" version of Frank's,

I tried one of the hotter versions of Frank's once and it gave me bad heartburn.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Will look them up.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Two levels; very mild and, almost a tinge of heat.

Both are heavy in the vinegar universe. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:

Concur!

Around here it's a staple at coney island joints.

By the way, they named it after me Wink

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I like this one. Tabasco Sweet & Spicy.

It's not hot.

And regular hot sauce I buy Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Louisiana Hot Sauce

Posts: 13022 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

By the way, they named it after me
I looked for it at the grocery store, but they did not have any ersatz hot sauce.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, any regular user of Franks knows it's not a burn your mouth hot sauce. That's why it is so popular I'm thinking. Man, you just can't believe how good scrambled eggs are with a few good shakes of Franks.

Shoot, it's been around since the 20's...so it must be good. No? Oh, another cool thing is that it's made right here in Missouri.

What's not to like?

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5054 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:

By the way, they named it after me
I looked for it at the grocery store, but they did not have any ersatz hot sauce.

It's there, ya gotta look for the real ersatz! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I find Franks to have a “1 to 1” ratio of volume to heat. So you can basically use it like ketchup.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To a "pepper belly", Frank's is a disappointment.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I love spicy foods. I also love Frank's.

It's the perfect amount of "every day" heat and flavor to put on just about anything at any time. I think it's far superior to Tabasco, Louisiana, or any of the other common hot sauces. But it's not a "knock your socks off with heat" kind of hot sauce, so if that's what you're after, I understand why you'd be disappointed.

Personally, I use it basically like ketchup (which I happen to hate BTW).

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven’t seen this commercial in some time…Franks

Q [FLASH_VIDEO] [/FLASH_VIDEO]

A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use Franks or Tabasco on eggs.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post