SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Am I just a freaking wuss???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am I just a freaking wuss??? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Did some work down at the cabin today. I am building a nice looking but somewhat seriously fortified gated entry to my place.
So today I dig 5 post holes for 4x4 fence posts and I am freaking smoked. Arms feels like spaghetti noodles, chest is sore, and the webbing between my thumbs and index fingers are on fire.

A couple weeks back a buddy and I dug 2 post holes for 6x6 posts that the gate will mount to. I dug 1 he dug the other. It did not seem too bad just time consuming as I forgot my rock bar and had to use a 4lb sledge and crow bar to break up the rock.

Come to think of it I am guessing using the rock bar may be the reason I am so sore as it sends some pretty good force back at you upon impact. The ground was fairly soft so impact was not too bad with the clamshell digger.

If I am this sore now I am not looking forward to the morning. But good news is I am all done with my post just need to let them set in the concrete a bit then I will run my planks.

Yup, concrete is overkill and likely are the 6x6s but I figure if you are going to tear my stuff up you are going to have to tear your vehicle up in the process. I put the posts 5 feet apart, the gate will open out and rest against the 6x6s so one would have to drive thru the gate in turn folding it in the center which do a number on the vehicle.

Fortunately the only folks so far have been using the property as a little lovers lane so it is not likely they will bother damaging their vehicle.

I have good neighbors that keep an eye on the place and have no issues cronfronting anyone on the property.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25430 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It gets worse. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Digging and breaking rocks is like that, like you tired to beat up a parking lot.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Looking back, I now know why my dad was grumpy all the time. Everything hurts.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The Jehovah's Witnesses will get in. They always find a way. There's just no hiding from their bible messages. The are insidious, unfathomable, undefinable, uncontainable, and undeniable.

Well, it could be worse, the cabin could be in Canada. For all the love of what's good and holy, don't expose your children to Canada!

Also, how old are you? What physical shape are you in? We need some numbers to gauge your 'freaking wussieness'.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Wait 'til you get old!

No matter how fit you are, how good a shape, using muscles in novel, unaccustomed ways can hurt ya.

At the peak of my triathlon years, my family and I were invited to go with another family for 4th of July, picnic, volleyball, good fun. Hoo boy! After most of a day of volleyball, I couldn't walk right for a week, sore all over! I was in my early 40's then.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
The Jehovah's Witnesses will get in. They always find a way. There's just no hiding from their bible messages. The are insidious, unfathomable, undefinable, uncontainable, and undeniable.

Well, it could be worse, the cabin could be in Canada. For all the love of what's good and holy, don't expose your children to Canada!

Also, how old are you? What physical shape are you in? We need some numbers to gauge your 'freaking wussieness'.

H&K-Guy

34, moderately fit, not nearly as fit as I was since having the 1st kiddo 4 years ago and now 3 total.
5 days a week at the gym are long gone.

————————————————

Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Hmm either out of shape or getting old... Pick one

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Well, you'll definitely be a REALLY Sore freaking wuss tomorrow! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8919 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Black, when you get older and wiser you'll visit the equipment rental store (or Craigslist ad) instead of getting out the clamshell digger and rock bar. No pain, no pain is a much better expression than no pain, no gain.

quote:
JWs keep very detailed records of their home visits, and you can use this to your advantage. If you strip down to your boxers prior to answering the door, they deem you no longer worthy of salvation, they exfil from your property in great haste, and they document your address as one to avoid. Ask me how I know?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

H&K-Guy

34, moderately fit, not nearly as fit as I was since having the 1st kiddo 4 years ago and now 3 total.
5 days a week at the gym are long gone.

34??? With three kids to keep you running around? Dude, you're just a KID! When you get to 50, then you can come on here and gripe about getting worn out easy. Big Grin Wink Razz

H&K-Guy

No Compromise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Black, when you get older and wiser you'll visit the equipment rental store (or Craigslist ad) instead of getting out the clamshell digger and rock bar. No pain, no pain is a much better expression than no pain, no gain.

quote:
JWs keep very detailed records of their home visits, and you can use this to your advantage. If you strip down to your boxers prior to answering the door, they deem you no longer worthy of salvation, they exfil from your property in great haste, and they document your address as one to avoid. Ask me how I know?

OK, this could be entertaining. How do you know?

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
HA! Worked construction for years... stuff I used to do all day long and not even think about now is often a struggle. Not only am I out of shape but I have lost considerable strength and that bothers me the most. Two bad shoulders don't help either! I find I have to actively pace myself, and I'm only 62. I blame it on the fairly cushy job I had the last decade or so before retiring.

Ibuprofen is your friend. Take it both before planned hard work, and after, helps tremendously I have found, both with your performance during, and for minimizing the after effects.

I really should be working out...

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wish it were that easy. My place is likely an hour and a half to the closest rental place so I'd be hauling whatever equipment and getting anybody to do any sort of work around the area is nearly impossible. Only help I get is my buddies just ask MattW he used to help but he up and moved away!

————————————————

Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you strip down to your boxers prior to answering the door,

Wait... What? You don't have to lose the boxers too? NOW you tell me!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

OK, this could be entertaining. How do you know?
In my first stint living in Houston, I was watching football on a Saturday afternoon. During a commercial, I looked out the front window where I spotted two female JWs going door to door, and I knew that I had to put an end that nonsense that day or they'd hound me the rest of my days. I remembered that I was wearing paisley colored boxers and at first glance I look naked in them. So I stripped off my t-shirt, shorts, and socks and opened the door just as they were reaching for the doorbell. My front door was up a flight of stairs, and by my internal clock they set the house record on descending that flight of stairs. I lived there 4 more years and never had another JW visit.

I can't remember who recommended it (sounds like a Sigforumite), but they suggested in the future that I add the following sentence to my near naked JW door greeting, [lick lips]"Are you from the agency?[/lick lips]

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
It gets worse. Big Grin

Sure does!

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
34??? With three kids to keep you running around? Dude, you're just a KID! When you get to 50, then you can come on here and gripe about getting worn out easy.

H&K-Guy

Cool, I've got four months to go then I can bitch, plus I'll be eligible for Bealls Tuesday Senior Discount Day. It's a win-win.

Black, my kids are 7, 9, and 11 and much more self sufficient now. That part gets easier. Get in shape now and maintain it. That part doesn't get easier.

Posts: 10971 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turmeric Curcumin will help quite a bit. Yesterday I loaded/unloaded a pickup full of pavers, then half a load of cement, sand and dirt. I'm only a little sore today. And I'm nearly twice your age.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Actual work is vastly different from pushing weight around in a gym. back in HS, I can remember being able to out work a lot of my buddies that played football (I was a band geek). But I grew up on a working farm/ranch. I was used to working and being out in the heat/cold/rain/etc...
These days? I have no wind, no stamina, and too much gut.

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post